Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Okay guys and gals a little sad bought a Regal for my reef tank and he starved himself to death and then after reading more on this fish i found out that they tend to not eat in captivity, so I'm gonna avoid them in the future so I'm looking to get another angel but want something with nice color and size so can anyone tell me if they have any nice size angels in their reef tanks SPS dominate that is not destroying it would love to hear from you guys and please don't tell me about flames lol

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
How big is your reef, as that will play into the angel that you can keep. If your reef is large then you could put in a large angel, like an emperor, if not then you want to stay with the smaller pygmy type angels. If you want an angel that most likely wouldn't eat your corals then look at the the angels in the Genicanthus family. Some of them do get fairly large, so tank size will come into play again, but there are a number of them that are smaller in size.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
How big is your reef, as that will play into the angel that you can keep. If your reef is large then you could put in a large angel, like an emperor, if not then you want to stay with the smaller pygmy type angels. If you want an angel that most likely wouldn't eat your corals then look at the the angels in the Genicanthus family. Some of them do get fairly large, so tank size will come into play again, but there are a number of them that are smaller in size.

I have a 220 gallon reef tank thats been up and running for about 1 year but it was stocked water and rocks from my 120 gallon which was up running for over 4 years so all levels are good

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
I have a watanabie and a masked swallowtail. Although they are not as colorful as some of the other angels. They are easily my favorite fish. Both active and readily eat anything I put in the tank. I feed frozen, pellets, new era grazer, and nori sheets. The watanabie is around 5" the masked is a touch smaller. A trip of either would be nice in your setup as the males have different markings than females

greybolt03

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
what does your regal eat and have you had any problems with your flame picking at anything

At first my regal only ate seaweed that i feed my tangs after about 2 months she started eating flake about 4 months frozen brine now she will eat anything I put in the tank..
I've had my flame for over 2 years now never touched anything.

I think the key to keeping angels in a reef is feed feed feed. I have an auto feeder that drops flake 3 times a day, I do 3 cubes of brine a day, and seaweed every 3-4 days.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
At first my regal only ate seaweed that i feed my tangs after about 2 months she started eating flake about 4 months frozen brine now she will eat anything I put in the tank..
I've had my flame for over 2 years now never touched anything.

I think the key to keeping angels in a reef is feed feed feed. I have an auto feeder that drops flake 3 times a day, I do 3 cubes of brine a day, and seaweed every 3-4 days.

yeah i tried everything he just wouldn't eat i had the same problem with some dispar anthias but now they are eating had to coax them with fish eggs
i want to try another one just scared they cost so much just to have them die off but i guess i will make sure its eating this time before i take it home

Reef lover24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
I have a flame for a few months and he Dosent peck at anything. Sometimes it looks like he is but he's eating algae or pecking at dead tissue.. Aside from that I would buy an acclimation box and put the angel in there for a week feed him and etc before releasing him into your DT.. It's a good way to get fish acclimated.

crox99

Audi Sport
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
I have an emperor, blue face, lemonpeel, flame, flameback and a Deborah in my 255 and none of them touches any sps. The emperor likes red zoas and Lps but I don't mind him picking at those corals.

salpet

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
i have a majestic in my mixed reef and he has not touched anything at all very happy with him and he is my fav fish i have had him for about 4 months and he is a lot fatter than when i got him and eats anything i put in the tank he is especially fond of the daily feedings of romaine lettuce leafs along with my tangs they make short work of it to the point that i give them a leaf a day and its gone by the time i get home

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
cool i think i will try the emperor angel before i get another regal i just hope that if i get it small enough i can have him only eating fish food and not my sps he can have the zoas they were hitch hikers anyway lol lol ugly green ones

OOtzie

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Okay guys and gals a little sad bought a Regal for my reef tank and he starved himself to death and then after reading more on this fish i found out that they tend to not eat in captivity, so I'm gonna avoid them in the future so I'm looking to get another angel but want something with nice color and size so can anyone tell me if they have any nice size angels in their reef tanks SPS dominate that is not destroying it would love to hear from you guys and please don't tell me about flames lol

In the future, should you revisit the idea of getting a Regal angel, you should buy Red Sea Regal's they have a much higher rate of success.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: