Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Num

Being 0 in the water column is not a value meaning no unwanted algae. The algae and other life forms can suck it out of the water as fast as it enters. There is not any one method that works for all. I know people and one friend that has 2 ppm PO4 and NO3- ~ 100 ppm and is one of the most stunning reef tanks you can see, owned by Richard Ross.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 604

wharris

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you sure its hair algae? I thought that I had hair algae and lowered my nitrates and phosphates in an attempt to starve it. only to find out that it is bryopsis and that starving it wont work. ive heard the only way to remedy that situation is by raising mag, though i havent tried it yet.

Rob&Gab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
243   0   0
how long have you been using it for? BRS told me when i asked them about it, they said it takes 6-8weeks for any signs of anything starting to take place. i wouldnt even use it after they told me about a few things. Just use some GFO and stick to your water changes to keep the PHOS down , as well as nitrates. maybe cut down on feeding habits .

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt he does not run GFO. The PO4 is sucked up by the animals. 2 ppm in a tank is not low but very high. And his Nitrates are > 100 ppm.

We have been trying to figure why and all are stumped. One reason maybe that when you do WC you add some nutrient and we do not know which one that fuels algae. He does not have that nutrient and he is not big on WC as some are. So, the mystery nutrient missing is starving out the algae. Look at that tank closely and the density of corals. The corals are out competing the algae. Sanjay's 500 has also been high but not as high as Richards. I will add many just mess around with their tanks to much which can off- set things giving issues of x, y or z.

Another pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 586
Last edited:

Dan_P

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rapid Consumption of NO3 andPO4?

Num

Being 0 in the water column is not a value meaning no unwanted algae. The algae and other life forms can suck it out of the water as fast as it enters. There is not any one method that works for all. I know people and one friend that has 2 ppm PO4 and NO3- ~ 100 ppm and is one of the most stunning reef tanks you can see, owned by Richard Ross.

Trying to get my head around the oft quoted notion that 0 nitrates could mean tank production of nitrates = consumption of nitrates by nuisance algae or bacteria.

What sort of biomass would you need to have to quickly remove say a daily production of 0.1 ppm nitrate? For example, would you need a big ball of Chaeto to accomplish such a feat? Would a tank full of cyanobacteria consume that much nitrate? Same question applies to phosphate consumption.

Thanks

Dan_P

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Num

What a gorgeous tank!

Examples like this upset the notion that high nitrate and phosphate are the cause of unwanted blooms. Clearly not true here!

I still monitor these inorganic levels out of habit but as I look more closely at the subject of unwanted blooms, I am skeptical that inorganic nutrients are the explanation. I am afraid though that I cannot offer an alternative explanation.

M

Moneymaks24

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So 0ppm nitrate = hair algae
100ppm nitrate= no hair algae

So basically nobody knows anything about anything and chasing numbers is pointless. Got it thanks.

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dan it is more than just algae, if we are taking reef tanks where the Corals pick it up for there Zoozanthella.

I have never seen such a study of what biomass is actually needed for a tank. There are allot of issues here. For example: How are you going determined the biomass of a corals zoo's without a very well set up research lab to do it ? And not all algae consume at the same rate. How are you going to measure the population density of bacteria that are going to consume it ?

Dan_P

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dan it is more than just algae, if we are taking reef tanks where the Corals pick it up for there Zoozanthella.

I have never seen such a study of what biomass is actually needed for a tank. There are allot of issues here. For example: How are you going determined the biomass of a corals zoo's without a very well set up research lab to do it ? And not all algae consume at the same rate. How are you going to measure the population density of bacteria that are going to consume it ?

I have come across several posts this year suggesting that the explanation for an algae or cyano problem AND zero nitrates and phosphates is that the offending microorganism is using them up. So, I figured that there must be some intuitive, back of the envelope estimate to support this sort of statement. Can X square feet of hair algae or cyano suck Y ppm of nitrate when actively growing? Or what about cheato? Don't we have feel for how much nitrate it can suck up?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: