ReefDriven

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I'd like to get rid of my center bracing so I don't get the shadow line in my tank. I was thinking a Euro Brace would be suffice to hold up the tank from bowing. Anyone know where I can get a good brace or any info on building one?

ezee

Rating - 94.7%
18   1   0
Reefdriven,

As far as I understand Euro bracing is usually built into the tank in the beginning. I haven't heard too many people opting for it after the tank has been built.

E

gil716

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
instead of euro-bracing, have you considered replacing the center brace with a piece of thick clear acrylic secured with thick nylon bolts? took me less than 20 minutes to do.

ReefDriven

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I'm assuming you left some lip from either side of the center bracing for the holes to attach the acrylic piece...How thick of an acrylic piece did you go? And how many gallons is the tank you modified?

gil716

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
u guessed correctly, there are lips. i went with two pieces of 1/4" initially - one on top and one on the bottom of the lip. i ended up taking the bottom one off because it was a PITA to clean in between.

another thing you might want to consider is whether you'll have an MH directly above the brace. 8+ hours of an MH bombarding a 1/4" piece of acrylic could prematurely compromise its integrity. my lights are not above it, so i'm not overly concerned about it. i still check for bowing every so often. 5 months and no problems yet.

and btw, the mod was done on a 65g.

cyloq

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hmm should i be concerned?

I just bought a 65 gallon tank off some guy on fleabay. he cut off the center brace and Ive had the tank running now for 3 weeks. I havent really noticed any bowing but Im starting to freak out now.

Should I be concerned?

gil716

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
not sure if anyone is really qualified to answer that question here, but if I was told not to worry about it I STILL would. hey if there's still some part left of the original brace to work with, why not do it? like i said, it only took 20 minutes to do.

ReefDriven

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
No center brace? I know how you feel. A buddy of mine cut my center brace when I was first starting out saying I didn't need it. I had a few guys from MR come over and they were like DANG you brave. So upgraded the next day to a new and bigger tank. If some of these veterans from MR are saying it's important, I'm gonna believe them. No center brace will make you from glass bow and eventually crack. That's major spillage you're risking....

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
If a center brace were not needed, do you guys really think that the companies would invest the time and money to put it there? As far as the bowing - its not something that you will notice. Remember that the taank materials are very rigid. They dont do to well in the bending department. I believe that most of you guys have heard of the saying "the hair that broke the camels back".

Running a 65 without bracing is very brave. I would recommend you put it back on. The only problem with it is that if you put it on while the tank is full - it will still be bowed even though you may not see it. A level will be able to determine that. Braces are to be removed and replaced on empty tanks only.

But I am sure there are a few that got lucky.....

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
cyloq said:
I just bought a 65 gallon tank off some guy on fleabay. he cut off the center brace and Ive had the tank running now for 3 weeks. I havent really noticed any bowing but Im starting to freak out now.

Should I be concerned?

it all depends... over time the possiblity of it bowing will be a high chance.. i guess it all depends... but i would be concerned and use wat was rec. on this thread with the acrylic and plastic nuts and screws..:headache: :lol:

reefman

Chairman of the board
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
I would not risk it. i would think over time, it would not hold the pressure and if that happens. o boy. i had similar experience a long time ago when i start noticing the sides bowing. my common sense tells me not to push my luck.
btw:bowing is more noticable from far distance.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: