debbythefowler

bona-fide REEF NUT
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Folks,

has anyone done this? If so I have a few questions:

1: what kinds of materials can be used to join acrylic rods to create 'base and stands' to stack live rock onto?

2: what kinds of 'glue or epoxy' work with acrylic and are reef safe?

3: Is there any reason I should steer away from acrylic and stick with PVC?

I'm laying out 2 'stands' for rockwork in a new tank - the ground surface area will be 30" x 72" and 20" deep. I'm looking for the minimalist look with a good deal of sand for both space, separation and balance - more realistic than I've had / have currently.

Ideas?

ravi197699

Thruster
Vendor
Rating - 100%
151   0   0
When you say acrylic, I assume you meant acrylic rods, There is nothing bad with using acrylic rods as long as you are using that are rigid and thick so they won't wobble. you will need acrylic glue to bond those pieces together and I am not sure how well they will hold the weight of the rock though, I have never used them as base. What I have used personally over years is hydraulic cement to bond my rocks together. It sets fast, holds rocks pretty well and if you let it sit overnight it gets even harder.. it is cheap, you can buy 10 or 20 lbs buckets from Lowes or Home Depot for under 20 bucks...

ssminnow81

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 95.7%
67   3   0
I use acrylic rods, it's pretty easy. Just drill a hole thought the rocks and try to get a nice stable heavy bottom rock for the base. If it's a little wobbly use they epoxy stick
In a few spots on the structure.

ssminnow81

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 95.7%
67   3   0
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422406908.375788.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1422406921.928391.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: