pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Mine is placed Horizontally about 4-5 inches from the surface. I would like to try the vertical orientation but my rather large and obtrusive overflow boxes kind of make Gyre motion in that orientation unworkable.

I just setup pulse mode a few minutes ago and I think I like it at @ 10 sec. interval.... we'll see.

Hi Randy,
Is your placement final? I also have a GC tank with the bulbous center OF. Figured before I set it up, I'll just learn from the master :)
Also did you stay with the 10 sec pulse mode?
I haven't read up much on the product and have not even opened the box to look at the manual yet but I'm also guessing that there is no night mode like in the Vortech correct?
TIA

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Thanks Randy :)

So my first impression is that it is an awesome pump that will move a lot of water but it is a bit noisy and a lot of potential parts to replace. Maybe not as bad as my MP40s noise wise but I felt that those were a little bit above standard due to age and probably bearings also, so comparison is tainted.

Can't decide if I want a constant flow or a pulse but the random is out of the question since the reverse pattern is basically useless with a standard AB prop.
What I'm doing for now is 40% constant for the daytime and 30% 5s pulse at night until the unit breaks in a bit.
They really do need to upgrade the controller for a ramping mode, even simple Jebaos have that.
I also noticed that all the parts are pretty pricey because everything is broken down to pieces. I'm sure that they will want the $120 for any future controller.
Vortech MP40s were quite simple when you look back and think about it. $75 for a new wetside, $50 for a new power supply and the motor side lasted forever.

Last edited:

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Okay so got off my bum and looked at the coralvue videos and it's not called "random" but rather "alternating gyre mode" and also realized that you need to really change one of the prop and cage (like AA or BB) to really get the effect. I may not use that mode with the standard AB props but will eventually try it with an AA prop and cages. Looks like it works best in this mode with the proper pieces if mounted vertically but not in my tank configuration unless I was crazy enough to mount it dead center on the front panel. Hindsight 101 says external overflows are a good thing :D

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Can anyone update? I was about to buy one but 3 of my buddies had them malfunction is some way. Are these things junk? I know they move water but are they built cheaply?

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I want one really bad but I'm always skeptical of the first model of anything. Think about how many times every product in this hobby has been modified! (Kessil, Radion, Vortech, Jebao, Reef Octopus, Precision Marine,,,ALL GREAT products and all have come a long way)

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I've had mine for a little over a month now, and they don't seem to be made cheaply, and do they move quite a lot of water. I haven't had any problems, outside of the plugs coming apart, which caused the unit to turn off. It would have been nice if the controller wasn't all black, it make it hard to see the little icons sometimes unless you put it under the light.

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
While it does do a couple of different modes, it is constant in that particular mode so it does not ramp up nor down like controllable Tunzes or Vortechs, no night mode or battery backup yet so keep this in mind when switching from the latter two. I know they say these things are in the works but paying an additional $120+ for a v2 controller later on makes me think twice on already having purchased this unit and not waiting it out. It's almost deja vu with my first MP40s with the metal controller boxes, if I remember correctly, the white gen2 boxes were an additional $50 a pop 6 months later.
What really concerns me is that I pulled my MP40s out and now have no backup powered flow devices in case of power loss until Maxspect puts out their BB.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: