pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
IMO, 1/3 hp is too small for the volume you described. A lot depends on how high your tank temperature would get too without a chiller so that you can calculate the pull down degrees that you need. But as a reference, I used 1/3 hp for 120g with a peak tank temp of 87 degrees so my pull down temp was 9 degrees and the 1/3 hp was adequate.

Bogie

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
84 degrees was the highest my tank reached last summer. With the ac on in the house and the fan blowing over the sump it was about 80. I want to keep it around 76-77. What's better drop in or inline?

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
I will say this if able definitely go with a 220v, go as big as you can it will come on a lot less saving electric, also try to locate it as far away from tank or sump as possible, look up member Jim on here and his 300g build or shoot him some questions, he has a 300g tank with chiller

Jim

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Go with Aqualogic Delta 1/2 hp. Get the 230v model, it's half the amp of the 115v. It's a little more $ than the Tradewind but it's a higher BTU and less of a power hog. I have mine plumbed 15' away from the tank in a separate room.
Running for 4 yrs with no issues. You should clean them in the off season.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: