jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I need to replace my current skimmer. Looking for the most powerful/precise skimmer to fit the footprint. There is no budget. Looking for the best option.
My first consideration is a Bubble King Mini 200 Gen 3 VS12 Protein.
This is an expensive skimmer, I just want to make sure there isn't a better option. I'm a little out of the loop on all the best skimmers out there.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Haha! Me neither. Look in the forums section, I don't remember the name but there are many professional skimmer builders on here. I just never got one because there so dam $$$...I have had many success with reef octo. Most of these skimmer work a lot better once you remove the air intake silencer and extend the air intake tube outdoor.

Macropora

Zoa Echino Aficionado
Rating - 100%
725   0   0
I need to replace my current skimmer. Looking for the most powerful/precise skimmer to fit the footprint. There is no budget. Looking for the best option.
My first consideration is a Bubble King Mini 200 Gen 3 VS12 Protein.
This is an expensive skimmer, I just want to make sure there isn't a better option. I'm a little out of the loop on all the best skimmers out there.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you.

For the footprint you have and your no limit on the $$$$, I would go with the BK skimmer you mentioned. I love these skimmers which are well built and the pumps are silent.

ATB Deluxe skimmers are just as good, and have a bigger footprint. I would go for an external model just for the pure beauty of the cone design and watching the bubbles work up the cone.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Thanks Macropora. I looked at the ATB but I can only fit their space saving model which has less a lot less airflow than my current skimmer. My fault for designing such a small skimmer space in the sump ;/

Last edited:

Serega

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
Never built a skimmer before and have 0 acrylic working skills. Can't see a skimmer that I built working very well :D

Maybe look in to Avast Marine Works CS1 cone skimmer kit, 10x9 footprint with Sicce PKS-1000 pump. You can either build one yourself (witch is what I did, with instructions very easy) or buy one premade by them, more $. I know you said budget is no issue, but for me it was, is important and after month of researching this was the best option with very good reviews for up to 300g tank. I do not have the skimmer running yet, so can't give first hand review. Good luck.
dpa5tv.jpg

And I think it looks awesome !!!

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Not sure about the sizes available but im a huge fan of vertex alpha cones .I have a 200 on my old system with the vectra (self cleancleaning head ) and it was a beast man .I now have a alpha 250 on my larger tank , they were made by the same company that bubble used , royal exclusive.but I think now they make them thereself.for me vertex, bubbleking ,and I would look into atb , ive never used them but know a few stickheads that love them also

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Serega, the avast is a nice skimmer but underpowered for my bioload @ 1100 LPH. That's a significant downgrade from my skimz sm 203 (which doesn't keep up at the moment).
I appreciate the suggesting though.

Charlie, I wish! It's the damn footprint. I can't fit any of the Vertex alpha cones :(

Rick, not sure where else to go with this one. The 12x12 foot print keep bringing me back to the 200 mini.

Macropora

Zoa Echino Aficionado
Rating - 100%
725   0   0
Thanks Macropora. I looked at the ATB but I can only fit their space saving model which has less a lot less airflow than my current skimmer. My fault for designing such a small skimmer space in the sump ;/

I didn't like that one either. You got space to put in a bigger sump?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: