Djbetterly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
So, here's the deal with my current setup. In the cabinet I have a sump that is 30in wide but I'm only utilizing 24in of the sump as I had to put my ATO on one side since the wifey won't let me have an ATO outside the cabinet. I've attached a photo to see. The ATO container holds 10 gallons of water. Since I travel a fair amount its necessary to hold over for some of the longer trips.

The sump is made my reef octopus, click here to see it. I'm not very happy with the way its setup, so I'm considering switching it out.

Given my setup, and needing the ATO to be in the cabinet, can anyone make any suggestions for a new sump? Or a mod for the current sump?

The fuge I have in it, I made custom. The water level in the fuge stays higher than the rest of the water and has been really good for maintaining a pod population. I didn't have much luck keeping any macro's or chaeto though.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-03-30 at 5.19.09 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-03-30 at 5.19.09 PM.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 229

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
If you pulled sump toward from Front stand of stand could you place a 10 gallon tank or acrylic ATO box behind it. ? If so you can fill as needed with maxijet pump and hose. Or if you can reach from behind stand somehow

I have a similar situation and need to set it up. May attempt to make stand for ATO container

Djbetterly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Its actually not an option to do that. What I could possibly do is high jack a portion of the side table next to the aquarium that has space inside it right now. That might hold me over until we move apartments in a year or so.

Master Shake

captain of tying knots
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
i think its reef synergy that has ato boxes built in to the sump but behind it so if you have room from front to back you can make it wrap around like an L giving you more top off, they also do custom if you dont like anything they have "stock" also the colors look cool lol

Rating - 100%
36   0   1
Contact custom king, be made me one with an ATO resevior inside and reufugium, couldnt be happier. My resevior only holds about 5 gallons cause of the size i requested but im sure you can make that chamber a little taller to hold more water.

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
I worked on a sump by him yesterday that had built in ATO also but was a lot like what you are doing now except your is taller which I think is better. Btw your setup looks well done.

Djbetterly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
The setup works well, the sump has a lot of flow which I like. I'd just like to have a few more options such as a bubble trap and a larger fuge. Right now I don't have area in the fuge to sustain any chaeto, which is like to do. It does keep my pod population hearty though.

Regarding the ATO , I do think if it was on top of the sump on the right side rather than going down into the sump that would be better as it would give me a bit more water volume for the sump. I'd sacrifice a bit of ATO volume but I could live with that provided it's easy enough for the wifey to fill the ATO if necessary.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: