Atif

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Due to a variety of extenuating circumstances, including the lack of availability of either of our locations due to renovations, we will sadly have to skip the Spring Swap this year.

As many people know, the swap consumes a great deal of time in planning. We are the only club I know of that runs a swap twice a year, and we've been doing this for more than 10 years straight.

So while we're disappointed to be skipping this one, I hope everyone understands and appreciates the swap that much more in the Fall. It will definitely be over the top!

MikeC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
How manny GPH does your skimmer proses?
IMOP there is no reson to push any more water than that threw your sump.
Flow should be handled by your power heads or a separate closed loop setup.
The idea of flow is to get detritus up and out of the DT so the skimmer can remove it.
I see no point in pushing it faster threw the sump only to return it to your DT.

P.s. Also take into account headlosse and reactors or a manifold that will be run off the return pump.

Last edited:

jdino

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a general rule for a return pump? I have heard of things like 7-1 turnover per hour.
So a 100 gallon tank needs 700 gph pump?
Any thoughts?

MikeC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
Is there a general rule for a return pump? I have heard of things like 7-1 turnover per hour.
So a 100 gallon tank needs 700 gph pump?
Any thoughts?

Turn over rates are usually regurgitated by aquarists often with out reason.
If your skimmer can only process 600GPH why would you want to turn over more?
Flow and turnover rates are two different things.
(Flow in the tank and turnover threw the sump)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: