Djbetterly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
So I'm a bit **** about the quality of products, but I stumbled on a really good price for a jebao doser so I greabbed one. Generally speaking I'm not a fan of jebao products, but the price was right. When I looked at the pumps they use, I wasn't shocked, you can buy those pumps for a couple dollars each online and they work on friction, not a direct gear drive, which makes them inefficient and less accurate over time.

Seeing that I've been working on a dosing project for some time I thought this would be a good place to start. So I did a bunch of research online and found some amazing pumps that are made to order in Japan. I had a piece of black plexi laser cut and installed the pumps. I have to say these pumps are incredibly accurate. When I ran the calibration on the doser all of the pumps were within 2 seconds of each other.

So here are a few pics. I'm not sure if others are interested or not, but I was considering putting together a mod kit to sell if anyone else is interested in this. I know a lot of people really don't care about accuracy, but given how much money I've put into my tank, I don't want to screw it up because of inaccurate dosing.

I still have to add the LED's but those will be easy.

I also have a Neptune DOS, but I'm mixed on it at the moment given the price. And lastly I have one other home made doser that is a two channel wifi doser that is also incredibly accurate. Hopefully this new one will work great and I can minimize.
I'll be waiting for the criticism comments as I know they will come! :smash:

Attachments

• IMG_1923.JPG
    IMG_1923.JPG
    301.6 KB · Views: 282
  • IMG_1924-2.JPG
    IMG_1924-2.JPG
    349.2 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_1925.JPG
    IMG_1925.JPG
    304.4 KB · Views: 283

Chefjpaul

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
Nice.
I just bought one at RAP and am going to mess around with it this weekend, if I find vast inaccuracies, I may be interested in swapping out the pump heads.

Ill PM you when I go digging on this thing.

Djbetterly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
The pumps were not cheap, I'll say that much. But the only doser on the market that has comparable pumps is the vertex libra and the neptune DOS.

The other thing one could do is replace the pumps needed for more precise dosing. I'm using the triton system on my tank so its quite important that the dosing be precise.

BKLYNREEF123

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
The pumps were not cheap, I'll say that much. But the only doser on the market that has comparable pumps is the vertex libra and the neptune DOS.

The other thing one could do is replace the pumps needed for more precise dosing. I'm using the triton system on my tank so its quite important that the dosing be precise.

what about the GHL doser 2? It uses stepper motors like the Dos.

Djbetterly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
what about the GHL doser 2? It uses stepper motors like the Dos.

You are correct, however, the drive is still a friction drive not a direct gear drive.

how much was each replacement pump?

So the pumps that I purchased are expensive, based on the quantity I purchased, I paid $87/pump. However, I did mentioned to the gentleman that I was in a prototype phase of a project so they kindly gave me two pumps for free.

Now prior to this I had been working on a wifi doser project and had been researching a lot of peristaltic pumps. One of the sources in China that I had received samples from finally got back to me, apparently he was on vacation. The pumps they have are pretty nice and are incredibly affordable, $24.50/each. The downfall is the depth of the motors. I have their two samples here and they seem well built and use a direct gear drive. To use these it might take a bit of playing around to make sure the motors don't hit the control board.

I've attached a PDF with the specs of the less expensive motors.

Attachments

• MN1 peristaltic pump.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 119

Djbetterly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
So the samples I have would probably fit, but one might need to use a small spacer on the front side to clear the lip on the exterior of the housing. It's very close. Haven't had a chance to see if it will clear the board on the back end yet.

Ignore the holes, I had that piece with the holes cut a bit higher just in case.

cee075754da2bb96ada85b093ed3776c.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: