nyc reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.5%
274   10   0
I just picked up (2)Hydra 26 and a remote to place over my 24 x 24 x 20 cube. I'm currently using them in Great Barrier Reef setting but the lights seem a little purplish, I'm looking for more of a 12K or 15k look not pale white and not too blue. Can someone help me to set up these lights using their settings? Another thing I don't understand is the ramp up and down setting - it goes from 1-12 is that hours?

Thanks

Lenny718

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
I have the same lights. I've never used the location settings so I can't help you there but what I did was just play with the colors on manual and once I found the spectrum I liked I just copied them to the automatic timer. As far as ramp up yes it goes by hours. This is a thread over on RC that I found very helpful in setting up the lights http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2428538&highlight=hydra+26+settings

Lenny718

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
Your welcome and sure. My lights are 12" above the waterline and it's a jbj 45g cube. I made the mistake of cranking up the power to much when I first got the light, my Ritteri anemone loved it but I toasted my sps lol. This is what I'm running now and my still turn up the whites more but only in 5% increments per week to see how my corals are responding.

White 30%
Deep blue 95%
Royal Blue 95%
Red 25%
Green 25%
Uv 25%
Violet 25%
It gives the tank a nice 20k look. Also these lights tend to be on the white side which is why I had to compensate with the blue.

nyc reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.5%
274   10   0
Update -

I got the lights and a rail system with 5" legs, but I decided I didn't like the way it took away from the tank's aesthetics. I went ahead and hung it above the tank utilizing the rail which I cut to accommodate the two hydra 26 snugly 1/2" on each end. I leveled it 12" above the tank center front to back, side to side. I would like someone's opinion whether they are to high off the water line.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 515

nyc reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.5%
274   10   0
Light Height

Thanks Lenny, I was getting some salt creep on the lights at 5" from me doing maintenance. I like how clean the tank looks with nothing on the rim and the light rack w/legs was not pretty.

nyc reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.5%
274   10   0
Still Learning

You I'm using the wireless remote- when I program a start and finish time for example 7:40am start to 7:05 fish time with 3hr ramp time.

Some Questions:

1) is that a good light cycle?

2) the 3hr ramp time means my lights start a 7:40am and continue to increase in intensity for 3hrs until approx 10:40am? And they stay at my top setting until 7:05pm when it starts to ramp down to until 10:05 when they'll be off?

Or

Do they start to ramp down at around 4:05pm to off setting at 7:05pm? Because I'm try I got to figure out how many hours my lights are running at my full settings a day.

Thanks

Last edited:

caad3

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
I know I should find the instructions and read them. But still fuzzy on ramp time. If say I have 3 hour ramp and preset is 10:am. Does the light start kicking on at 7am? And the same question for ramp down. preset is 7pm, lights continue to stay on but ramp down until 10pm.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: