cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Hikari is the standard, ON is what I have been feeding and San Francisco Bay is the new kid on the block. Not sure if that is helpful at all. I really like the Rods or LRF too.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
I've been using hikari and PE mysis for the past week. My regular tank fish love it, my pipefish and sea horses love it too.

I also like that it's not primarily chopped up bits of shrimp, most peices are full size. So, for fish that need it to appear my shrimp like in shape vs random tiny hunk of flesh, will be more attracted.

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Pop Corals has all those brands you mentioned although when I was there this weekend the Rods selection was dwindling dunno if he is getting more soon. I know he said LRS is coming this week although he still had some. I tried the Pygmy Angel food by ON I feed with a cube of mysis to my tank they seemed to like it. Coral Theory might carry frozen can't remember know they have refrigerated like pods. Kenny from POTO had LRS at the swap not sure about Rods.

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Pacific Aquariums usually carry a 1lb no name brand of mysis for $15. As far as brine shrimp goes with saltwater fish, it has very little nutritional value. You can Google it yourself.

Jhoehlein

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
As far as brine shrimp goes with saltwater fish, it has very little nutritional value. You can Google it yourself.

Brine shrimp gut-loaded with spirulina are the only frozen brine you should be using. Plain frozen brine shrimp as stated above are the reef tank version of empty calories - sure your fish may relish them, but they do nothing for them nutrionally.

I vastly prefer the SF spirulina brine to Hikari, less green washes out when you rinse it. I'm not sure if ON makes it.

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
[PDF OVERLAY][/PDF OVERLAY]Brine shrimp gut-loaded with spirulina are the only frozen brine you should be using. Plain frozen brine shrimp as stated above are the reef tank version of empty calories - sure your fish may relish them, but they do nothing for them nutrionally.[PDF OVERLAY][/PDF OVERLAY]
So why not eliminate brine all together and feed spirulina then?

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
My fish hardly know what to do with flakes and pellets. I'd like to move more to live food then stick with frozen. In the meantime frozen is good. I prefer LRS Reef Frenzy in my tank. Super clean stuff.

Jhoehlein

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
So why not eliminate brine all together and feed spirulina then?

The brine shrimp acts as a convenient vehicle for the spirulina - think of them as the corn husks of delicious spirulina tamales, for fish that don't want to eat flakes or wafers. For new fish that are especially finicky about eating live food you can gut load live brine shrimp with spirulina powder.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: