cowfish

Psycho-ologist
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I recently pruchased a juvenile about 2.25 inches long. He was sold to me as something different of course, but that's what I get for not IDing it myself before purchasing.

Anyway... does anyone have experience with this fish? Info on the net is conflicitng. I know that they can get to be quite large (20 inches in the wild) and eat molluscs and other invertebrates. Will they go after starfish? Do they harrass other fish as they get bigger?

I'm trying to decide if it's worth putting him in the tank. The wrasse would be going in a 180 FOWLR with anthias, filefish and fairy and flasher wrasses. I may attmept soft corals in the future. Any input would be appreciated.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I'm not familiar with this particular wrasse but did some research (as you did) and the info on them leaves many questions unanswered.

Taking into account that it is considered a 'food' fish to the folks who live where it comes from, IMO I'd err on the side of returning it (if at all possible) and getting something that is more suitable for the type of tank you have/want.

Though fish don't tend to attain the full size they might in the wild, even deducting 1/3 of it's total length, it doesn't sound like it will fit in with your more laid back tank-mates.

Larger wrasses do tend to exterminate snail/crab populations in home aquaria..best to pass on this guy.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
As it grows and the fish around get to the size where they could be eaten odds are they will be. Fish like other animals are pportunistic feeders and if something swims by and fits even an herbivore will swallow it. Tangs go after small feeders like guppies all the time. I would return it.

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I'm not familiar with this particular wrasse but did some research (as you did) and the info on them leaves many questions unanswered.

Taking into account that it is considered a 'food' fish to the folks who live where it comes from, IMO I'd err on the side of returning it (if at all possible) and getting something that is more suitable for the type of tank you have/want.

Though fish don't tend to attain the full size they might in the wild, even deducting 1/3 of it's total length, it doesn't sound like it will fit in with your more laid back tank-mates.

Larger wrasses do tend to exterminate snail/crab populations in home aquaria..best to pass on this guy.
Almost every fish we keep in our Aquarium is considered a food fish in other parts of the world. I was watching a show on Animal Planet, where the people trapped the fish by the thousands, only took what they could eat and let the rest go. In the mix where Powder Blue tangs, Sailfins, some Parrot fish, different wrasses, a few other tangs and they took quite a few large angles. They ate everything they took from the water, So what we consider nice pets, others consider food.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: