Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I posted this over in RC... maybe you guys/gals have some ideas...

--------------

So many people come into the hobby and think they will be able to throw together a system in a couple days or a week, never really planning. Has anyone seen a worksheet for planning a new setup?

Or maybe throw some suggestions as to what should be on one?

Things like: (All... if applicable). and each can be broken down into further details.

Equipment

Tank
Stand
Sump / Filter (Canister, HOB etc).
Skimmer
Skimmer pump
CA Reactor
Lighting
circulation (CL or PH)
Return pump
Heater
Chiller
RO/DI
Containers for spare water
Surge Protectors
Timers
Controller
Refuge
Refractometer
Top off system
Plumbing (Fittings, ball valves, Bulkheads, pipe, etc...)

Flow for various functions (Sump/display tank)

Supplies / Consumables
Salt
CA reactor Media
Carbon, phosban etc...
Test Kits
Fish / Invert food

Live Stock
Live Rock
Sand

Major Considerations:
Budget
Long Term Expense (electric bill, water bill etc, consumables expense)

Misc Planning
Drawing / Diagrams
Mock up of setup using graph paper or other means.
Spreadsheet for pricing and comparison.

Backup equipment
Power outage consideration
UPS
Generator
Battery operated air pump

Electrical Usage Calculation: (JH hope you dont mind the copy/paste from another thread, wanted to keep it in one thread so I can figure out a way to add it.)

in order to calculate the average operating cost for any electrical appliance you can use the following formula:

watts/1000 = kW x hours of operation = kWh x kWh rate = cost

Watts can usually be found on the appliance nameplate. If the nameplate lists amps:

volts x amps = watts

Example: How much does it cost to operate my portable electric heater? An electric heater wattage is usually given on the unit itself, or with the literature that comes with it. Our example is 1000 watts. I use the heater an average of 45 hours during winter months (1/2 hour per day for the three winter months). The City of Ames Electric Services electric rate during the winter is $.068. So -

1000 watts/1000 = 1 kW x 45 hours of operation = 45 kWh x $.068 = $3.06

Now we have an 8 amp heater. The calculation changes just a bit:

8 amps x 120 volts household current = 960 watts/1000 = .96 kW x 45 hours = 43.2 kWh x $.068 = $2.94

Calculator

------------------

I don't think most people put much planning into a new system. the Electric bill is an after thought, and then they say "OHH $@#% why so much??" I know myself initially bought a return pump (Mag 9.5) because it was the brand that came with my skimmer. Just to keep them the same. Now I am chaning it out for lower flow and lower power because its too much of both for what I need.

I would like to make something or see what else is out there. I know at least one person who really needs something like this right now! (And if you are reading this... SLOW DOWN!)

So, maybe im beating a dead horse, but a search on "Worksheet" and "Planning" didn't get me anywhere.

Thanks for the help.

Rich

Jhale
Hotwheels
chris288
ezee
froggiebunbun
Mr. Blik
Chiefmcfuz
Deepwater

Last edited:

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Rich I planned my tank out and it's still a work in progress :)

Good planning does help, it's what makes or breaks a successful reef.

I can't recall having seen a work sheet either,

I would add a chiller and heating to the list, as we know the chiller is a huge part of the equation.

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Thanks JH...

I just think people need to go into it with a bit more perspective. Not I have a tank and skimmer, then start the OHHH @$%2 I need sooo many more things to just get started.

I know it will always be a "work in progress"... but maybe taking some of the guessing out at the beginning will lead to less frustration for some. I believe people need to weigh the options of energy efficiency -vs- upfront cost and long tern expence. I know I would have done things completely different if I had. Now I am changing pumps and skimmers 3 months into a new tank. :smash:

Thanks for the input, I added it to the list.

Rich

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
This is awesome!! Nice thread! I do agree that good planning does make things easier in the longrun. Since I am going through this at the moment I PM you stuff later on today.

Hotwheels

Hotwheels
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
My 75, suffers due to budget cut backs but, It is still a work in progress
My planning is my strong point. It keeps me from impulse buy and sets goals or target to reach taking me to the next step.

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
My tank and sump were all drawn up on graph paper. I still have all of it. If needed, I can provide it. I also have some of my DIY stuff drawn up too (my sump, CA reactor and heat transfer).

ezee

Rating - 94.7%
18   1   0
Rich,

I actually planned out my tank for about 9 months before I put everything together and I still plan out the vast majority of new additions. I have an excel spreadsheet with an associated graph, if that would help.

LMK

E

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Hotwheels, "Live stock" added to the list Thanks.

Chris288, I too draw it out. I used graph paper and cut out a sump, (1 box= 1" scale) Then I cut out pumps, Skimmers, heaters etc... to scale and start placing them until I see what will work. I will add this to the list ass well as part of preperation. Thank you!

Ezee, Please forward your speadsheet, I would like to look at it and maybe get some ideas.... Thank you!

Rich

Last edited:

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I planned my stuff out on a worksheet too. And calculated the prices as if I was about to buy it (check-out with totals: tax, shipping, fees) for all my equipment so I can do some online comparison for new stuff and what's available used. Another thing I would add to your list is water...ie RO/DI unit, or distilled gallon jugs if your tank is small like mine.

Hotwheels

Hotwheels
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Timers....And surge Protectors
I have 2 or 3 spare S. protectors If you need

The type of tank you want is important (ie..Specimen specific, Mixed reef, Fowlr) this will dictate a majority of things

FYI... It is good practice to label the plugs. I learned the hard way awhile back

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Thanks Froggie and Hotwheels...

items added...

Hotwheels, I'm not really in need of anything myself... at least at the moment. I am doing this as a "Template" so new folks just getting into the hobby have something to work with. there are soooooo many things to consider (as we can see with the list) and many people dont realize until they are in a bind.

Last edited:

mandarin

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is great, I just brokedown my 46 gallon since I have a 90 gallon in the basement waiting to be set up. This time I want to take my time and plan better. I spent a lot on unneccesary money because I didn't thinkl things through or tried to be cheap and cut corners. Even though I have a basic knowledge of what's needed, I still find this very useful.

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
jsut thought of a few more things:
Food for Fish/Inverts, Various supplements besides Ca Reactor and also along the lines of test kits, medication, treatments (flatworm, inceptor) and dips

i might be getting too nitywitty, but all this stuff adds up. No matter how we plan the excel budget spreadsheet, it always go over. lol

Last edited:

Mr.Blik

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
110 in progress...

Hello all...First let me say AWEOME THREAD! I am in the process or planning out a 110. So this topic really speaks to me. I also set up a spread sheet where I am planning out all the neccesary equipement to get my vision off the ground. Spreadsheet includes much of the the item already listed on the worksheet, a few item that are not listed but should be IMHO are some of the smaller ticket item a new reefer may not think of right away (ie. refrator, test kits, top off, float values). I have to admit that they wre not my first thoughts, but have made it to my list now.

One other thing (and my apologizes for bing so verbose), a "mentor" if you can find one. I included in my plan cost and asked a good friend and "fish"mentor to help identify options and cost savings. This has help out trimendously!! House...MAD LOVE Brother!!! Learn more from him everyday!!

I also have to agree with the slow approach...I have been planning for a few weeks now. Still have to buy the first of my equipment (1) RO Unit (2) Skimmer....any suggestions as to the next "key" items?

PS---- MR Rocks! Wish this was aroung when I started my fist "attempt" into the hobby like 5 year ago. Maybe I would have been more successful.

Mr. Blik

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
mandarin said:
This is great, I just brokedown my 46 gallon since I have a 90 gallon in the basement waiting to be set up. This time I want to take my time and plan better. I spent a lot on unneccesary money because I didn't thinkl things through or tried to be cheap and cut corners. Even though I have a basic knowledge of what's needed, I still find this very useful.

I hope it does help...

I would like to get it into a "Form" format and create a PDF out of it, that anyone could use. At the very least it will be a foundation for someone to start things with. Things always change, but something to make it easier and clearer at the begining, would hopefully rid the frustration that turn new comers away.

Froggie, thx again! items added.

Rich

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
RB I think it's important to state Filter or sump because some people cannot have a sump due to lease clauses or condo association agreements but they are allowed to have a sealed cannister filter or if the tank is small enough a HOB filter.

Hotwheels

Hotwheels
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
R
You might want to break down the process in terms of phase
ie..
Phase 1
Initially setup And Items need

Phase 2
setup and cycling

phase 3
Introducing LS

just an example, this will also help in terms of budgeting- when to buy and what to buy instead of breaking the vault and buying everything all at once

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Man, ezze and froggy had to "one up" us with their high-speed excel spread sheets!!! I guess I can figure out how to do that stuff... it would be easier to read on the computer, wouldn't it. I also build everything out of cardboard first. Works wonders. I was going to mention many of the other things that members have brought up, but I didn't know how far in depth you wanted to go. Keep in mind that some of these topics are still debated here (BB, DSB, SSB) I'd love to do a standardized set-up for specifically sized tanks, to include flow, best skimmers for one's budget, lighting and the need for a chiller, among a million other things we must plan for, but that may be difficult for us to agree on. Or would it?

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I think one thing ppl over look in this hobby ,is the funds to maintain your ank after its set up ,,some ppl could come up with some fast cash ,but the in the long run <Manitianing your tnk get pricey

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: