Hitsnorth

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I cracked the support the runs in the middle/top of my 110. I am wondering how important this is and should I try to fix it? Replace the tank altogether? Or not worry about it?

Thanks,

Eric

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Usally the center support is very important and the tank may because unstable without it. I would check with the manufactor of the tank and see if it's a problem to remove the center support and if your can repair it.

I think you always need to worry when it comes to the tank itself. You never want to come home to water all over the floor and an empty tank.

Michael

Hitsnorth

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Well my worst nightmare happened.. I am out of town and the tank cracked straight down the back water leaked out all over the floor and its the tank is a total loss. Trying to get a flight home now

Missy Johnson

Masta of Disasta
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I think I can offer some advice on the importance of the center support in your tank. Not long ago (about 3 hours, to be exact) - I awoke to the sound of water, yes water, spraying all over my living room. After limited investigation, it seemed that the problem wasn't a pump, or a clogged overflow, but a crack straight down the back of the tank. Yep, top to bottom. As I stood there relatively helpless, I watched the first half of the 110 gallons saturate the carpet, and enough wires that con-ed should worry about the competition. Thank you so much to Jon Noble who (firstly) answered the phone at 2am on a Sunday night, and then came over and helped me since Eric is out of town. We saved all the fish and made a makeshift 'tank' out of the sump and separate 30 gallon tank. The 200 lbs of live rock are in the tub nearly covered with salvaged tank and RO water. What a disaster. Anyways, the moral of my story is 'yes, Eric the center support on your tank is important' and thank you so much to Jon. It would have been very hard to survive this disaster without him.

Missy Johnson

Masta of Disasta
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'd say I sopped up about 50 gallons from the floor. The carpet took up alot of it (it's a room carpet under the couch) and 10 or so towels did the rest. Our apt is lopsided which was actually a good thing - most of the tank drained on the front right. We pumped the rest of the water into the bathtub and I put a heater in there with a powerhead and I'm making some more water for it. Most of the rocks are covered. Eric's getting on a flight now to come home so I guess he's gonna get a couple tubs from KMart to house the rocks until the new tank is here. We are going on vacation Wednesday (he's in a wedding in FL) so I don't know if we'll set up a new tank before then or just leave the 2 small tanks going. So, I think I'm good for now. If you know anyone who wants a 10 inch volitan or 7 inch hawkfish let us know!

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Sorry to hear that, it's probably the worst thing that could happen. I probably should have mention to take some water out of the tank to relief some of the pressure but unfortunily you only remember things after the fact.

Just goes to show you that the plastice cross support, even on a 55gal tank, is so important.

noble

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eric and Missy,

I'm glad that I could be of help!

I hope that our salvage attemept will result in the survival of the majority of the livestock.

Hitsnorth

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Jon thank you for helping out! I couldnt believe it when i walked in the door. I got everything in buckets now with heaters and powerheads. Im trying to get a replacement 120 put together for tommorow.

If I dont get a fishtank put together tommorow I am going out of town again wednesday and wont be back until tuesday. How bad do you think those rocks are going to be just sitting there with only sunlight hitting them everyday and a powerhead/heater?

I really need to get that lionfish out he is way too big for that 30 gallon and is liable to cause the whole thing to crash not to mention he gets hungry and starts eating everyon. If anyone knows someone who wants a lionfish or can hold on to him for a little while, please let me know.

Missy took a few pictures as it happened : http://ericsaquarium.com/FishtankDisaster

[ April 18, 2005, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: Hitsnorth ]

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Hit's

The lighting will become a problem as time progresses - if you don't get it up in a day, or two, things will start to become problematic. I have an extra dual 55 retro if you need, a 29g tank too and a sump that I just finished plumbing and siliconing

Let me know if you need/or how I can help.

House

[ April 18, 2005, 03:57 PM: Message edited by: House of Laughter ]

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
Hope everything cleans up well. If you need it I have a 65watt PC ballact with square pin socket that I could lend to you and I have some extra 55watt power compact bulbs but these are straight pin(....) my only square bulb broke.

Let me know if you can use them.

-Kris

Missy Johnson

Masta of Disasta
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you everyone for all your help and being so willing to loan us stuff until we get this situation cleaned up. Eric has a new tank coming today and hopefully we've avoided enough dieoff that the re-cycling won't happen. We are so grateful for all the friends we have met on this site. It was definitely the first place I thought to go at 2am when I needed help with the newly created waterfall in my living room. You guys and gals are all really great and we're proud to be part of this group.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: