cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Ok guys I need your help before I place my order!

Here is my new setup after talking with them about how to run the led's for the dimmer (so hopefully they can do it):

ledarrangementversionwe.png

My questions are the following:

1) I was reading that for white 4500k is highly recommended.
Evidently the 10000k won't look good with all the blue. I heard the following regarding coral growth:

6500k = most growth, but also equals butt ugly.

10k = good growth, better color

14k = marginal growth, much better color

20k = even less growth, but very awesome color

The problem is they don't offer 4500k just the following:

W?3000-3500k?
W?6000-6500k?
W?6500-7000k?
W?7000-7500k?
W?7500-8000k?
W?8000-8500k?
W?10000-12000k)
W?12000-14000k)
W?16000-18000k?

So what should I choose, right now I have 6 NW and 10 CW (see diagram)?

2) How should I arrange the dimmers?
Right now I have the red and violet running on the blue dimmer and the whites running on the other with the rest of the blues. I see lots of people putting the violet with the whites but didn't know why.

3) I also see people recommending 660nm red but according to the chart below I think 630nm would be better what do you think?

4) Any additional criticism or recommendations please...

Thanks! - Gotta get this order in soon (like today).

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
90   0   0
4500K will not do you any good except growing a lot of algae. It' s an extreme yellow light, thinl of it as almost the color of candlelight (which had a temperature of aboit 3000K). In a reef environment I wouldn't use any form of white light that is less than 6500K. The best looking light without being too blur is between 10000-14000K IMO

Sent from my MB860 using Reefs

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
have you visited other reef tanks in homes or even stores to get an idea of color temperature?
I agree with the above, you would be lucky to grow aiptasia with 4500. There is a reason they dont offer it. It just doesnt work for this hobby.

I think you pick up bulbs at Home Depot with that color.

pwreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Have any of you guys seen a tank that has a mix of 2:1 of RB to 4500K neutral white LEDs? LED color mixing is not the same as regular MH or T5 lights. Of course you are not going to put a light that is purely 4500K. Its the mix that creates the right color. RB with 4500K creates a roughly equivalent to a 10K MH.
To the OP: you are not going to create some amazing controllable light that equals Radion with this cheap Chinese fixture. IMHO based on having these 10K LEDs before from Aquastyle, I can tell you that any whites that are 10K and above are junk. I would stick to 6500K with some 3000K whites and double the RBs. Other colors may help, but you will not be able to control them well.

Rating - 100%
90   0   0

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Thanks for all the replies so far. I am ordering these tonight. I don't have a link to the specific led's just a list of what is available. They are bridgelux led's. I heard it is good to mix cool white and neutral light but if you click on the link in my original post there is a long discussion about white led and everyone is saying go with 4500k because of the mix with the blues. I also heard that anything 6500 and below would cause algae and that was why I was nervous. However seems to be a lot of votes for lower k rating. As for the red I see 660nm used a lot but according to that chart looks like 630nm would be better. How does the rest of the mix look and my dimmer arrangement?

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to bash you, but in my opinion you're asking for trouble using these ratio and these type of LEDs on a reef tank. I'm speaking from my own experience, I built many DIY LED fixtures and experimented with various kind of LEDs and some that you've chosen don't work in a saltwater environment. Pleaqse read my article about LED colors, it should help you clarify some things. http://www.reefs.com/blog/2012/06/04/diy-your-hobby-new-color-choices-for-diy-led-lights/
The reds are OK, you don't need more than two and I would still put them on a separate driver just in case you'd like to dim them. I would also replace the 3000-3500K diodes with ones emitting 5000K light (neutral white). You should also have some diodes of 8000K color spectrum, but I assume the 6500K should be ok. With that ratio of blue to white leds, you're looking into a rather blueish look in your tank, but if that's what you're looking for, it's all good. I hope I am of any help and good luck with your setup

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
just to chime in, i think its actually an interesting idea to use a variety of bulbs. you aren't using a ton of the 3k leds, and maybe they will help bring out some more colors if nothing else.

i don't think running a whole fixture at 3k is a great idea, but if you would like to try a wider spectrum of light for purely aesthetic reasons i can't imagine it will hurt anything that much.

anyway, good luck with the project!

yogi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Nice article.
Do you have any information on like a mosfet component that can be used to dim led circuits?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to bash you, but in my opinion you're asking for trouble using these ratio and these type of LEDs on a reef tank. I'm speaking from my own experience, I built many DIY LED fixtures and experimented with various kind of LEDs and some that you've chosen don't work in a saltwater environment. Pleaqse read my article about LED colors, it should help you clarify some things. http://www.reefs.com/blog/2012/06/04/diy-your-hobby-new-color-choices-for-diy-led-lights/
The reds are OK, you don't need more than two and I would still put them on a separate driver just in case you'd like to dim them. I would also replace the 3000-3500K diodes with ones emitting 5000K light (neutral white). You should also have some diodes of 8000K color spectrum, but I assume the 6500K should be ok. With that ratio of blue to white leds, you're looking into a rather blueish look in your tank, but if that's what you're looking for, it's all good. I hope I am of any help and good luck with your setup

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
I just came up with these potential designs for someone else based around what they were looking at:

If you like #2 then I would suggest this:

snausyled2.png
(1.3)

or

snausyled.png
or
snausyled4.png
(1.44)

or

snausyled3.png
(1.55)

(blue/white)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI Cmantis.

how is going your tank with this lighting Led? Any picture?
I'm build my Lighting Led, following the suggestion by this article:
advancedaquarist.com/2012/10/aafeature

The only thing that I'm tno sure is which white choose....and I'm thinking to use OSRAM GOLDEN DRAGON+ 4500K.

I would like to show some pictures of your tank....

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
I am running out the door to move but look up my '40 breeder rack build'. Or I will send pics later. 4500k would be great I told them to make them (which they did but after I already purchased my light).

bhazard451

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
What I meant is to ditch out 4500K LEDs completely. They are no good to a reef tank and I wouldn't even put them in a planted tank I used to keep. That color ratio is very warm, like the color of the sky at sunset. Read my aquarium photography article if you'll find time, I explained color temperature there: http://www.reefs.com/blog/2011/12/02/aquarium-photography-guide-part-iii-white-balance-headache/ Hope that helps

This is completely incorrect when it comes to leds. 4500k is the tag it is given. In the overall sense, that number is meaningless. Evergrow's 4500K, and Sosci's 4500k are completely different leds, despite both being "Bridgelux 4500k".

The actual spectrum output of the led is much more important. The 4500k led that evergrow/reefbreeders uses is actually very good, and more closely mimics a 10k MH bulb in spectrum output, NOT a 4500k MH. Combined in a 2:1 rb to white ratio, the color is a very appealing 16-18k, and a wide range of spectrum is provided, along with adding 410-430nm violet leds, and a few 660nm red. I know this because I have it over my tank.

It also does not grow algae any quicker than a MH bulb would in a tank with correct parameters.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: