Adamc1303

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
The reef angel cable is on this page. It also works great for the apex with a simple mod of the connector.
http://www.reefangel.com/order.aspx

You will need to buy an Apex VDM cable, or create your own with a standard ethernet cable. Its easy.

As for the noise, re-position the pump in the cradle. At 70%, mine are nearly dead silent. I should also note, that one of my pumps is slightly louder than the other at all times. Still much quieter than my MP-40s were.

The WP-25 is being released soon too. $30+ shipping. Take a look at it. It's very impressive for such a small pump. If these pumps continue to last, Ecotech and Tunze may want to start rethinking their pricing, or innovate something into their pumps to justify the cost.

http://youtu.be/fYc1hZy5iV0

Thanks do I need anything in addition to that cable? Does it work with an Apex Lite or only full Apex?

bhazard451

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The apex needs to have the VDM module. You need the full apex, or the lite with the VDM attachment (if it works on the lite version)

These cables are also helpful in connecting the end of the RA Jebao cable, to the apex wire.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/15X-20cm-2p...mper-Cables-Sensor-Shield-EQUIV-/160774697221

The pinned side would go into the RA jebao cable connector piece. The female side can be cut and attached to the apex cable.

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
They light sensor is funny!! Pump goes into night mode or turns off when I get near the controller and I see where it can get lost easily, I dropped it twice, probably will add a drop of silicone

Last edited by a moderator:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
trying to make sure i have my head wrapped around how to properly hook this pump up to my apex. sounds like if you have the full apex (not lite), you can buy:

1) apex vdm cable ($18 from bulk reef supply)

2) the jebao cable ($25 from reefangel)

3) (optional) '15X 20cm 2pin Male to Female Arduino Jumper Cables Sensor Shield' from ebay if you want to avoid having to splice wires ($5 shipped)

then the variable power supply if you want to dial this back down (if you have a smaller tank, etc). my main question would be is there a difference between the power supply that fish-street now offers versus the universal one on amazon that's been pointed out on previous forums?

i'm thinking that once the WP25 hits the market (end of this month supposedly) the variable power supply won't be needed to crank this down... at least not in my 75g. but i guess we're all in the dark right now on what the actual GPH will be.

Last edited:

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
bhazard:
Do you know if it would work on the Apex Jr w/o console?

I don't actually need it controlled, as I changed my aquascaping to ensure that my sandbed stays relatively cool, etc. But am wanting to know for potential future interests.

I can at least keep my eye on other pieces I need for my controller.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am curious to know what you would think about these in a cube tank . I have a 135 g which is 40w x 36d x 22t and has a eurobrace . do you think 2 is too much or should i just wait till the smaller is available. I will already have 2 seaswirls with ea about a 1000 gph.

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
Iwould wait for the wp25.

I currently have a wp40 in a 48x2x2 and its a bit on the big side. I eventually need a bigger tank but if you are going to stay with that size tank wait for the smaller pump.

Start with 1. If you feel you need more, you can always buy another, or wait for the smaller one and add that as a second one.

kidninja

Nemo Assassin
Rating - 100%
169   0   0
if you want to dial down the power of the pump, the people over at ARC said this works:
Search for '12v 5a dimmer' and you should find a similar one on ebay for around $5

15fjhft.jpg

291jjx1.jpg

bhazard451

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It works, but isn't the best solution. Changing the voltage into the controller puts more stress on the motor. The best way is through the Reef Angel cable, the led board in the OP, or a potentiometer attached to 24+ 24- and the VA line.

I prefer the ADA led dimmer board for the Apex, as I love ELSE mode on the Jebao controller. Pumps are now running 2 months strong, no issues.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: