MrBanGa

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
How can I feed my fish broccoli? Do I cook it ? Microwave it? Or just wash it under hot water ? Thanks in advance for your comments .. New to this salt thing lol

Jim

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I've never fed broccoli but I feed romaine lettuce once a week and the fish go crazy. Just blanch it first. (Bring the water to a boil with the broccoli in the pot and remove after a quick boil. )

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Recent article attached on homepage here about feeding people food. Didn't say anything about prepping the food. I would think just rinse well under water, I wouldn't cook it. That's just my opinion though. I have fed table shrimp to my tusk on a reg. basis, smly rinsed and served

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Since tangs graze on algae it's good to fed them all types of greens. So broccoli, romaine lettuce and peas can be part of their diets. The thing is you need to either freeze or boil it somewhat, so that it's broken down somewhat and the fish can absorb most of it, otherwise it can be too tough from them to break down and they just crap most of it out. I use to fed most of the my Angels and Tangs romaine lettuce all the time, until I was able to get a good supply of Nori sheets, and they get very big and fat from it.

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
theirs no fish or lobsters on dry land, but we eat them and they are good for us.
I don't know about good for us there is a lot of mercury and other horrible things in the water that we don't even know about so seafood is probably not the best thing to eat , creatures that live in the bottom of the ocean especially but hey they do taste good! They say to limit seafood intake because of that. What are you going to tell me next that we don't see air but we breathe it? My point was about feeding it in a RAW form. It would make 0 sense to just throw pieces of broccoli into a tank,like marrone said it is too tough for a fish's digestive system to break down and would be wasted if they could even eat it at all. If you puree it and mix it with other things then yea you can throw all types of stuff in there but it has to be cleaned well and cooked to remove pesticides and bacterias as the last thing you want to do is add chemicals or anything that would have a negative effect to your aquarium.

Adamc1303

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I was at Atlantic Beach today. The high tide started coming in around 5:30. I grabbed a bunch of seaweed and brought it home. I rinsed it well and the tangs and angels loved it! Gonna give broiled broccoli a try after seeing this thread.

henrystyle

Bad Mutha Shut Your mouth
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I never feed broccoli. The biggest concern with that would probably be the pesticides on it. Dont want that in my tank. I feed raw un-toasted nori. All my fish eat it. To each his own. Try it and report back.
This is what I use. (not my price though)
http://rawnori.com/index.php?route=...roduct_id=50&gclid=CJ6zi-KHw7gCFdCh4AodSzIAXQ

SuperFood Nutrition Benefits

Nori contains 12 kinds of vitamins including group A, B, E, K vitamins. Nori is called "The Reservoir of Vitamins" because few other foods are as much in vitamins as nori. Nori contains almost 50% protein - the highest of any seaweed - along with an exceptionally dense quantity of valuable minerals and phytonutrients.

• Vitamin A --You can consume enough vitamin A per day with just two sheets of nori.
  • Vitamin B --Two sheets of nori also contain Vitamin B1 and B2 in amounts equivalent to 50~60 grams of pork, a sufficient daily amount.
  • Vegetarian source of B6 & B12
  • Vitamin C --Nori has twice the vitamin C as the same amount of oranges do!
  • Iron --Two sheets of nori contain an amount of iron equal to 600 cc of milk or one egg
  • Nori contains as much protein as soybeans
  • Low Fat & High Fiber
  • High in Magnesium, Potassium, Riboflavin, Calcium, Carotene, Niacin, Folic Acid
  • 1/3 of Nori is protein & 1/3 is Fiber
Now ask yourself, is broccoli really needed?

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: