Frankie Marble

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I am finally getting to the fun part!! It's been a long build, but I am a bit OCD & wanted everything to be exactly how I have it. Now for the live stock..... I wanted some opinions on how to stock the tank. It's a 72g bow DT. (Pics coming soon) I have a fish list, & already added some hermit crabs (5). Really what I'm asking is should I add coral before fish? Or should I start with fish?

Thanks in advance for all the help!

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You need to cycle your tank . Do you have LR in your tank. They are a few ways to cycle your tank. You can add one or two fish that are handy. You can slowly add'fish first but at least if you have live rock and you can add some bacteria that help you start. But you need at least 4 to 6 weeks of tank fully running. Here is a link that will help cycle your tank. Using no fish......

http://www.startafishtank.com/aquar...ng-cycle-your-tank-with-fish-food-or-ammonia/

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You should go slow to your tank matures. Adding coral to new system is not right way to go. It can be done. But for beginner not a wise move. Key to success is slow. So let tank run for a few months and than add coral. In mean time do research and ask questions.

Frankie Marble

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. Thanks for the concern guys. The tank has been running for about 8 weeks now. Like I said in my original post........it's been a long road. I have about 95lbs of live rock (including the rubble in the refugium) I went with Fiji pink sand for the substrate (80lbs) in the dt & (40lbs) in the fuge. I used the raw shrimp method to begin the cycle. Testing the water every few days & logging it to see when the ammonia would spike. So just about 3 weeks ago I saw all my levels spike & level off. There is 0ppm Ammonia, 0ppm Nitrite, & just around 10ppm Nitrate. In my opinion the tank is ready for some live stock.

The reason I haven't added anything is because I went on vaca for 2 weeks & wouldn't be home to monitor the system or any new live stock in it. Too much for a tank sitter to handle....lol

What I was asking is should I add corals before fish so I don't put too much bio load too fast..... I was thinking most coral are filter feeders & would only help the water column. (Well I would make sure to only add filter feeders) hermits I added are having a chow down between the rock & sand. Look like they are doing good.

What do u think?

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
ok ill tell you same thing i tell everyone, corals you can start adding pretty much as much as you want, be sure to treat and dip everything, fish i would not suggest adding more then two initially, wait a couple weeks and then add one or two more, this way it starts to give system time to catch up with bio-load, be sure to qt fish if not able then treat all fish before going into your system

BAD FISH

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
definitely zoas gotta have zoas but get nice ones that you will always enjoy looking at there is nothing to them very easy coral. shrooms are real easy too and there are so many diferent kinds start simple and slow patients is very important in this hobby good luck

Frankie Marble

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys.... I'm gonna give the girl at the store a small list & see what she comes up with. I live in Staten Island, but my cuz has a nice store near him in Long Island. Girl there is knowledgeable & tanks are very well kept. Selection is top notch. So I will see what she comes up with.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: