Oneilwiz

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys it's been weeks now still battling with green hair algae, here is what I have done;

1.add more GFO to reactor change monthly.
.2. Change 5 gallon weekly
3. Running 2 bags of chemipure elite
4. My feeding schedule didn't change 1 or two times a day.
5. Bought Elos phosphate test kit- ( says 0 phosphate which I know is a lie ).
.6 brush off green hair algae off rock. Which returns.
7.bought a sea hair which did good but died:(

Still frustrated can't seem to resolve maybe I will back down on feeding to only once a day. Only 6 small fish.

ENB

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hey I had a similar issue for a while in my 125
I added
2 sea hares
1 radiant sea urchin
Whole bunch of hermits and snails
And I got a gfo reactor from rkaragozler which I run chemi pure elite in.
I also changed the program on my radions to have very little green red and white during most of the day and took the intensity down from 100 (was cooking my tank) to around 45 at the highest point in the day.
The phosphate kit isn't lying your phosphates are 0 because the algae is eating them all :splitspin
Just out of curiosity what's the TDS of the RO/DI water your using? Maybe your membrane or filters need a change.

Good luck I know how annoying hair algae is and I hope you destroy it.

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Hey, What size tank is it and what's your mag, cal and alk levels? Not going to solve your problem but you do want those 3 in check(mag in normal range to a little higher will help keep down on nuisance algae)
definitely slow down feeding until you get the algae under control.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
OK I want to make sure I got it in case I have a problem with hair algae and I want to do all these things.

Get yourself a Tang and some emerald crabs, Manual removal , hydrogen peroxide, gfo, tangs/foxface , lots of water changes, you will need way more CUC, 40-50 snails Combo of turbo, astreae, cerith, nerite, Lower your phospates to as low as u can, Cleaning crew will help and tangs. Do water change every week, employed an army of Turbos, use a regular computer desk lamp, have caeto in my sump, Get a phosphate test kit, a Blue Tuxedo Urchin will methodically
eradicate ALL your green hair algae, add more GFO to reactor, Running 2 bags of chemipure elite, radiant sea urchin, Whole bunch of hermits and snails, got a gfo reactor from rkaragozler, bought a sea hair which did good but died, Change 5 gallon weekly

Is that everything, or should I also be doing the Macarena? :scratchch

Clink51

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Stop feeding so much. once every other day is fine. or every other other day too till you get it down. Does the tank get direct sunlight? could be a reason for it. What the light cycle at? lower brightness if LEDs and dont keep on for to long.

nagrom

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had green hair algar until I got a tang. If the algae is one of the types it eats it will be gone in a day. The tang even cleaned up all my zoa frags that had algae poking out all over and is an awesome fish to boot.

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Read over your thread as I have a patch growing on the rear of a large rock in my tank. It was where the mp 60 was but the wet side went and I need to send it back in. Curious if any one had any real success with urchins eating gha?

Oneilwiz

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
I have a yellow tang as well as a hippo
My readings
CA 450
KH 7.6
MG 1520
I am sure that my RODI unit is up to par as I changed out all media 4 months ago and confirmed no TDS . Here is a video of my tank I just turned on the lights so corals are not out.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByReefs2014-07-01 21:58:52 EDT.jpg
    ImageUploadedByReefs2014-07-01 21:58:52 EDT.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 112
  • ImageUploadedByReefs2014-07-01 21:59:27 EDT.jpg
    ImageUploadedByReefs2014-07-01 21:59:27 EDT.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 109

ENB

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Custom program? I know that even when I set the total intensity bar to 40% on my tank if the color channels were set to 100% of each color there was too much light.
But if you installed them last weekend that's not the cause it could only be a contributing factor to the problem.
Another thing I did was drop some small GHA covered rock into my sump to compete with the GHA in the display but the chaeto should be doing that.
Good luck I know how annoying the stuff is.
Is there any byropsis? I know I had some along with my GHA and that can be fixed by raising the mag level a little.

Oneilwiz

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Custom program? I know that even when I set the total intensity bar to 40% on my tank if the color channels were set to 100% of each color there was too much light.
But if you installed them last weekend that's not the cause it could only be a contributing factor to the problem.
Another thing I did was drop some small GHA covered rock into my sump to compete with the GHA in the display but the chaeto should be doing that.
Good luck I know how annoying the stuff is.
Is there any byropsis? I know I had some along with my GHA and that can be fixed by raising the mag level a little.

I have no Byropisis just annoying GHA

Oneilwiz

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I started to dose algaefix marine on July 11th every 3 days. In combination of 6 turbo snails. What I have observed is that the GHA has been become weekend and brown which I siphon out or brush off the rock. I tested for phosphate with The Hanna brand with 0 reading. I am in my 4th dosing of algae fix. There has been improvements but only time will tell as I continue with my regular maintenance. I will keep you Guys posted. FYI the algae fix by API is coral and invertebrate safe. Only lost I have had is loosing my 4 turbo snails which is normal for me because my wrasse kills them at night when they turn over on their back.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: