b-ridge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.8%
79   11   0
Today I woke up and inspected my tank and found 2 other fish dead. This has been going on for the last week. Every time I place new fish in the tank they are dying. The older ones seem to be just fine. At first I thought it was ich but I am not seeing any of the symptoms. There must be a bacteria or parasite floating around the tank. No I don't have any aggressive fish. There was no fighting or picking on each other. Being the fact I have a reef set up is there any medication anyone would suggest to get rid of the parasite/bacteria in my tank? I'm hearing prazipro, metro, herbtana. Suggestions would be great. All parameters are ok. Nitrate and ammonia are at 0

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
What type of fish are dying? What symptoms are they showing before they die and what do they look like when they're dead? You need to figure out what they're dying from first before you start to treat, as different medications works on different things but it mayn't work on what you have.

Frankie Marble

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try prazi pro, I have had good results using to treat Flukes in the past. Pretty much safe for reef systems. Not sure if you have feather dusters as they can be harmed. Follow the manufacture recommendation & you will be fine. Big water change between doses, one more when your finished & your done. Good luck

b-ridge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.8%
79   11   0
I am buying the fish. No I did not quarantine. Place fish in the tank. I am watching them daily. I noticed when I feed that there not eating. I am using garlic to entice and it's not working at all. They seem to be swimming around ok until it's feeding time. During that time they are hiding. My older fish also stopped eating. I have a variety of fish that have passed away in the last week. A sohal tang, a purple tang but these 2 both looked like they were covered in ich. A blonde naso, regular naso, anthias, 2 cleaner wrasse, 1 regular wrasse, copperband butterfly, maroon clown, regular clown, kole tang, whitecheek tang and now my yellow tang. None of these showed any signs of ich that's why I believe it's so,etching more. I know ich stays in a tank. I am watching my fox face and he is showing signs of heavy breathing but no white spots. All the other fish seem to be doing fine.
Some me suggested brook? What are the sings to look out for and how should I treat it?

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I highly doubt it's brook, but you've lost a lot of fish. At this point you shouldn't be adding anymore fish to the tank. Just leave the tank alone and see if the fish that you currently have put though and things start to get back to normal. It's also very possible that you're system can't handle the load, especially with all the dead and dying fish, and you're going through some spikes that are causing fish to die.

Frankie Marble

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size system do u have? That a huge bio load. You lost 14 fish in a week, its awful & I'm sorry your going through this. It's hard enough to loose 1 fish. I know some people won't agree with me, but get the fox face out of there & give him a fresh water dip. Make sure the temp & ph is the same as your system. Once u get that correct dip him for 2-3 mins tops. If its ick or flukes they will come off the fish & into the water. You have to be fast & keep an eye on his breathing. If it is flukes which is what I feel almost certain about, you can save the fox face & then treat the system accordingly. Keep us posted

b-ridge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.8%
79   11   0
Doing a little research I am reading that to help with my issue I should try formalin and malachite green together. Reading the articles these 2 seem like strong medicines that may/would kill my corals. Any feedback.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
You can't treat in a tank with Formalin, 37.5%, as that will kill everything in your tank. Formalin baths can be used but you need to be careful with it, and after using it you need to give your fish a fresh water bath so none that none of it gets into your tank. You should ware gloves and protective eye wear and then need to dispose of the water and the formalin after.

You don't know what is wrong with your tank or fish, so it makes absolute no sense to treat with anything before you do. The first thing you need to do is stop putting fish into your tank, you're only going to kill them and make things worst. You need to just leave the tank alone and let things settle.

b-ridge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.8%
79   11   0
I don't plan on putting any new fish in my tank anytime soon. Just looking for something to treat bacteria or parasites. It has to be something that is killing my fish. I am listening and doing what is suggested. Just looking for ideas or treatments

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Bridge I'm going through same thing same size tank im pretty sure my issue is velvet and possibly ick also
I've decided to let it run its course as I don't feel meds would help much at this point I'm hoping a few fish live and in the meantime ill set up a qt for new fish b4 they go in display to watch them and treat if necessary !

Total bummer lots of $ lost favorite fish lost fish I had for yrs lost but ill learn from this one and move on what else can I do!
Good luck

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: