SI REEF

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 95.5%
63   3   0
Today wile scuba diving in an inlet in NJ I picked up a small portion of red macro algae. I have a hang on back fuge. After a few minutes I noticed some small bugs waving around in the algae.
They are about 1/4" - 3/8'' in size. they have legs and crawl like inch worms and also swim. they move pretty quick.
I googled unwanted reef bugs and came across a pic that looks like them.
The description was that of a dragonfly larvae.
I removed the algae and syphoned out the bugs I could see. There were about a dozen.
So now I would like to know is it possible for a dragonfly larvae to live in salt water? and Should I be worried if I did not get them all out of the fuge?

SI REEF

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 95.5%
63   3   0
Got a pic of one

Attachments

• 1406085956990.jpg
    1406085956990.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 122
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I had those in the tank also, but they get eaten along with the other pods I throw in .
I think its the larval/instar stage of a shrimp or crab or lobster, some crustacean, of which there are so many out there. One of its stages of development.

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Well, lets break it down. it's not an insect, because they have 6 legs. you're has 8 and a set of hands, though a couple of legs have broken off, 3 pairs of legs in the back, with 1 pair per segment. At the head is what appears to be 1 more pair of legs, a pair of claws and I think a pair of antenna. That makes it crustacean, so I've narrowed it down to a subphylum. HA, not very specific.

Here's an amphipod or is it a crab? looks similar but its not an amphipod, needs 13 segments, yours have only 7.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/hig...666350419?nk=dd0ab5eba6a657e724080f28f5375b7f

Last edited:

Yani1133

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
No biggie haha sorry cldnt save u from going through chaos to get them. You probably safe with adding almost anything from around here not exactly any coral predators, been adding stuff for two years and never had anything nasty. Ps what inlet did u dive? I know its a little early but see anything tropical yet?

SI REEF

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 95.5%
63   3   0
I dove shark river inlet.
I have a slight issue with my inflater from my bcd being stuck so air kept inflating it.
I did the dive holding the exhaust so I was blowing a lot of air.
Didnt see any tropical s yet but I have collected queen angels, butterflies, grouper, damsels.
Got some nice black fish and fluke. Lobster on night dives.
gonna see if I can find some pics.

Yani1133

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Haha awsome. I have a boat at the marina so when you said inlet was betting it was there. i usually seine net in te back near the tenis courts and get lookdowns and butterfly fish but never any angels, really jealous those are great pics. This year so far has been a washout for that, only cool thing ive gotten so far is a baby northern sennet. Hows the inlet bottom look, lotta life? I know theyve been dreging it thenlast couple weeks.

SI REEF

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 95.5%
63   3   0
I get in at 3rd ave. I used to live a block away. this year after sandy the bottom has changed the jetty has shifted a lot of rocks are further apart better for spear fishing.
If you ever need someone to help drag the net lmk i have been wanting to do that for a wile. As for the queen angel I got three in one dive. gave them all away. I didnt want to see them get stuck up here and die in the cold northern waters.
The water seemed pretty warm I think it will be a good year.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: