Dk638

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
140   0   0
I'm currently running a vertex in180 on my 150 gallon mixed reef. I'm thinking I want a stronger skimmer. I'm looking at the skimz 161. Would this be an upgrade or do they both have pretty much the same skimming capacity? I know what the manufactures rate them for but I need a skimmer experts opinion. Thanks

Dk638

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
140   0   0
I looked at that kres but I'm looking at a used 161. But my real question is would the 161 or the d700 be more skimmer than the vertex in180? The vertex is pulling nice crud but I want more. Thanks guys

Dk638

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
140   0   0
By the numbers I thought the 161 was too. Just wanted personal experience. Thanks
Yeah I'm not sure I'd drop 255$ for the d700 without knowing the airdraw. I also found a thread on another site saying the d700 has microbubble issues.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
no it would not be more skimmer, and i am a huge fan of the skimz like and was one of the first people in the us to have and be a beta tester for them, ive owned the vertex 180 3 times, personally i wouldnt switch from what you have.

the sro skimmer suck to me, only one of their cones thats semi balanced is the 3000, it's a poor design to me and not a well balanced skimmer, i do like their larger recirc skimmers but their in sump the outlet is to low and has to be ran in shallower water levels and still flux's alot for me

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
kres you already know i love the skimz line, but i dont think it would be much of a improvement over what he is using. now a vertex 200 cone would be a huge upgrade and possible my favorite skimmer ive used out of 30 something skimmers

Rating - 99.5%
204   1   0
Not sure about that ,I ran the vertex 180 and the skimz 163 on two separate 150gallon tanks almost equally stocked and I thought the skimz out performed and preferred the ease of fine tuning over the vertex ,but that's just me..
How you been buddy ?last time I saw you was at the swap

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
dk i beta'd the skimz sm202 recirc, absolutely loved the skimmer but was too much for my system. if you want to upgrade the vertex get the new sicce 1000 pump, will make yours into a monster

kres i am good, growing bored of the hobby since i quit switching equiptment so much and just sitting back watching things grow

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: