saltwaterinbrooklyn

Pro hobby anti profit!
Rating - 100%
132   0   0
That's right , I am looking for skimmer number eight !! I buy them use them and eventually switch them out !! So what's the new bad boy on the block!!

Past skimmers : tunzi , Swc 120,160, I tech200 , reef oct diablo , cadlight Tia series.

And now I'm using the seaside aquatics cs1 and it works great and makes peanut butter but I want a new one and I want to know what everyone is using.......and I decided not to try anything new on the market .
( Lot of cheap junk out there ) And I want to keep it in the $500 ball park.

So who is using what??

Rating - 99.5%
204   1   0
Wow you beat Dave to the sales pitch lol and it's. $255 lol

Lol... I run all the skimz skimmers on my systems and am happy with them..and was curious to test out the jeabo line cause they look identical to the skimz and half the cost , but they don't have a bigger skimmer out yet for my water volume
The d700 is to small to try out on my 400 gallon

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
I got a Vertex Omega 130 for my Midi. I like the build quality but I have zero opinion on the skimmate because I haven't used a sump (return pipe issues, nothing to do with the skimmer).

Have you looked at the Omega 150 or the Skimz line?

The pump is really important. I always recommend staying away from knock off branded skimmers because their pumps usually suck.

cryptics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
130   0   0
I have the Avast Marine CS1 with the swabbie and the locker. I love it. I chose to build it all myself which was easy. I am in no way a DIY guy. It is recirculating which is a great feature and allows it to be in water up to the neck. Very underrated. With the skimmer, swabbie and locker I haven't had to clean the skimmer in months and it fills the 5l locker every week

saltwaterinbrooklyn

Pro hobby anti profit!
Rating - 100%
132   0   0
I have the Avast Marine CS1 with the swabbie and the locker. I love it. I chose to build it all myself which was easy. I am in no way a DIY guy. It is recirculating which is a great feature and allows it to be in water up to the neck. Very underrated. With the skimmer, swabbie and locker I haven't had to clean the skimmer in months and it fills the 5l locker every week
That sounds like something worth looking into thank you!
And I agree , a lot of skimmers out there with terrible pumps or lousy air intake if not both! The cadlight Tia series is actually among the top three worse skimmers I have owned ! But I agree ........a lot of junk to sort through.

cryptics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
130   0   0
The CS1 uses a Sicce PSK-1000. You just need like a maxijet 900 or something as a feed. I used to have a Aquac EV180 which I didn't love but did the job. Major drawback was it required a MAG 9.5 to operate properly. Way too much heat and power consumption for what it does.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
LifeReef skimmer HANDS DOWN. reef dynamics close second

Has LifeReef come out with anything new in the past 5-10 years? Just wondering because the last I looked at them was in 2008 or 2009 and the reviews were "they're good skimmers but outdated". Their overflow boxes are arguably the best in the market but the skimmers.....

Also what's your opinion of Euro Reef skimmers?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: