pauliwalnuts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Overkill, from my experience in a 24" depth tank, hell yeah. Anyone who had seen my tank when I had the 400's could tell you the coral grew insanely fast but they were very pale in color, even with the right acclamation. Deep water acros would have to be put on the bottom to the sides, basically shaded areas. Unless you're looking for more spread cause your tank is 36" or more wide and your looking to raise the fixture to get that spread then it makes sense, otherwise nah.

brick-brothers

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
338   0   0
ok fellas, my birthday is coming up and I trying to convince the wife to get me the mh's for my tank. So far on my wish list is: (3) 20x20x9 Lumen Bright Reflector (Black), (3) 400w Radium 20K, I just need a good ballast. Any thoughts?

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
if i remember correctly, i had mine 14-16" above the water (from the bulb itself). you don't want any splash on the super hot bulb.....i have seen a bulb exploded when a worker at the lfs accidentally splashed the water on it.

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
if i remember correctly, i had mine 14-16" above the water (from the bulb itself). you don't want any splash on the super hot bulb.....i have seen a bulb exploded when a worker at the lfs accidentally splashed the water on it.

their should be a glass shield to protect the bulb from splash and its a special kind of glass that protects your eyes from harmful rays.

brick-brothers

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
338   0   0
thanks guys. I do have glass to protect the bulbs. So am I measuring from the bulb to the top of the tank or from the bottom of the fixture to the tank?

Attachments

• 20140911120254.jpg
    20140911120254.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 35

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
I see that they have 2 types. ( Sun system and hydrofarm ) which 1 did you get?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LUMATEK-400...77?pt=US_Hydroponics&var=&hash=item3394ec4dcd

Standard Plug Type

Also set like 12 "(even more up) above water level, mine r 400W, mean penetrate more ( deeper) then 250W , also depend what kind of SPS u got, some love 400-500 up some less than 400 PARs. I got PAR meter.
i measure from the bottom of the light fix, were was the max. output 2885 PARs.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: