brick-brothers

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
338   0   0
I think when the summer is over I'm going to give MH a try. I think my sps tank is doing ok but the growth rate is really really slow with the leds im using. So I would like some feed back on single vs double end mh bulbs.
My Tank Specs: 220g
: 24 x 24 x 84
: Sps only ( trying to get the leathers out, smh )

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
You're going to want 250w-400w for that tank size. I don't like DE 250w because there is no radium 20k, and the spread is not as good as the SE bulbs. SE for sure, the question really is 250w or 400w? I already have a 400w radium over my tank so you know my answer ;)

brick-brothers

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
338   0   0
I want to build my own mh/t5 combo being how my tank is 7ft long. Do yall think its cheaper to do that or buy a combo fixture? I was searching and didnt see a long fixture which means I would have to buy (3) 24in fixtures or something like that.

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
for that size tank, i would suggest 3x se 400w radium 20k (lumen bright reflectors) plus some t5's or vho's. i had 2x 400w 20k radiums and 2x actinic vho's over a 48x36x27 200gal. marineland deep dimension tank and the growth was much better than the 6xai blue+2x t5's i had before breaking down the tank a couple of weeks ago.
the biggest drawback to the mh set up is the heat.....you will probably need a big chiller(1/2hp to 1 hp) for a tank that size with 3x400 mh and t5's.

brick-brothers

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
338   0   0
Question, is there a big difference in the mh bulb is pointing down over the tank vs the bulb laying sideways. ( trying to see if its the same brightness on how the bulb sits on top of the tank )

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Not sure what you mean by the last question?

I just wanted to add that you will likely have to retro fit in lumatek type reflectors because finding a quality fixture such as a sfiligoi or Giesemann Spectra is very difficult. Definitely don't get something like an Aquaspace light or an orbit fixture?.. It's not worth going halide then IMO.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Do you mean a bell pendent where the bulb sits vertical? Is so these don't put out the intensity or spread of a "normal" horizontal laying bulb in a lumatek reflector.

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
you probably don't want the bulb pointing down.....its not like a regular light bulb shape, its a tube kinda shape.....~10-12" x 1.2-2" diameter. i would think the amount of light would be more effective on its side. i have never seen any set up with the bulb pointing down

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
they do make 72" fixtures. i have a 72" geiseman 3x250w, 4xt5, very nice light.
my tank goes from 79-80.5 with a fan and no chiller but central air at 75, 24/7 and my living room is hot but i don't think a chiller will help that.

pauliwalnuts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Lumen Bright 20" reflectors + 250 watt Radium bulbs ? 3 @ about 14 to 16 inches from water surface to actual bulb. I had 2 ? 400 watt Radium bulb with the Lumen Bright 20" reflector on my tank wich is 60?24?24 and I couldn't keep any lps at all in the tank except the Neon Green CandyCanes. I was able to grow, and I mean out of control, table acros on the bottom of the tank, lol.

brick-brothers

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
338   0   0
Lumen Bright 20" reflectors + 250 watt Radium bulbs ? 3 @ about 14 to 16 inches from water surface to actual bulb. I had 2 ? 400 watt Radium bulb with the Lumen Bright 20" reflector on my tank wich is 60?24?24 and I couldn't keep any lps at all in the tank except the Neon Green CandyCanes. I was able to grow, and I mean out of control, table acros on the bottom of the tank, lol.

lol

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: