Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I can collect horseshoe crabs by the millions like 1/4" long. They live in the scurvest mud you can imagine. It is so loose that I have lost many shoes there sinking up past my knees. The mud is teeming with worms that they eat. They are not really tropical and they are not crabs. You can keep one in a mud tank with no coral as they live on mud flats and like to take long walks. I follow their trail to find them. They will live, but a few months is not what I call a success for an animal that probably lives many years.
Small puffers will also live in your reef as I have kept many of them. They will eat everything in your tank, then eat through the glass and eat you.
That blurry thing in here is a blowfish and you can also see a local pipefish.

Last edited:
C

Cu455

Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Paul I hope you are wrong only because I got a few last week. I have seen them on sand beach shores . You post gave me an excellent idea though. I don't want to give to much away but it will make you proud.

Albano I will be the first private hobbyist to keep one long term. I am in no way comparing my tank with an aquariums tank. They are fairly common in aquariums and have been kept long term at them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I am going to my tide pool tomorrow but amphipod season is over. I just go to hang out with tiny horseshoe crabs, fiddler crabs, shrimp etc. Horseshoe crabs will live in the sea for decades and grow about 16" long. They will last maybe a year in a tank if you can feed them well, but I doubt it unless you have a tank set up for them. I follow their trails that wind around in the mud for 20 or 30 feet an hour and that is for the tiny 1/2" crabs. Their mud is loaded with worms and dead plants because they live in the intertidal zone at that size and many things fall into the water at high tide that they feast on when the tide goes out.
This tide pool is loaded with horseshoe crabs and all sorts of other life which is why I go there every week.

C

Cu455

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I was just stalking your photobucket pictures and came across this. Is that a Sea Robin under there?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: