Dan_P

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am here to report that after reading ten years of "cyano" posts on Reef Central it appears we have not learned much about the bacteria and that the advice dialogue has not changed much either. The thread format is fairly consistent. It goes like this.

Help! I have a cyano bloom.

It is your "X" (X = phosphate, nitrate, nutrients, light, flow). Let's us X = phosphates

But my levels are zero

Your test is crappy

I have a good brand

These test can't measure phosphates as low as needed. Besides, cyano can consume phosphate so fast it does not get into the water column to measure

I have phosphate removal technology in place (pads, reactors, macro algae)

At this point the thread bifurcates, either dying completely or moving onto, "Oh well, it must be X = another cause.

I sat through many chemical plant incident investigations that went like this.

I did find some interesting observations that I thought were very important about cyanobacteria habits that failed to impress forum members. I have a lot of notes to compile. More on this later.

Don't forget to add to the cyano survey. We really, really need more data on tanks with little or no cyano mats.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
use red slime remover and be done, everything over the years ive read that says it can cause it i have de-bunked, flow, lighting, nutrients ect. after trying all types of methods i just use the slime remover

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: