Pazzoman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Hey,

Finally set up my tank. Just wondering if the Skimmer should be running during cycling? Some say no and most say yes according to various google results. I personally would want it to run during cycling just to "Break In" so that how it will be ready for when fish are put in. I had designed my sump originally to have space for a heater for freshwater however after having the sump redone to fit a skimmer there is literally no room for the heater in the sump unless I keep it diagonal in my k1 moving bed filter chamber but there will be lots of flow and air bubblers in it. I do have plenty or room in the corner over flow for both my heater rated at 250 watts each (159 gallons). I wanted to put both in the sump...but do you think it will work just as great If keep them in the corner over flow? Thanks

Waleedwale1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
294   0   0
I don't see why it shouldn't work when in the overflow but be careful when you turn the return off/drain the overflow so the heaters don't stay on. I usually have a powerstrip that has the powerhead, return, and in your case would have the heaters allowing you to turn off those at once and keep the lighting and whatever else you need to work on the tank on another powerstrip that is usually on. I've run the skimmer while cycling so it breaks in by the time the livestock is ready to go in

Rob&Gab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Always keep back up heater essp if you got marine land heaters had 4 fail on us 4 months in a row.

J?ger 300w is great by Ehime awesome heaters . Have not failed on us yet. But I would see why in your overflow would be a problem . +1 with the above post I make sure to turn them off before turning the return off so the heater doesn't burn out.

Pazzoman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I have 2 250 watt jager heaters. Right now i have one in my overflow. I have two therometers one in the overflow and one still in the package. Im going to see if the tempertature will be the same at both therometers later on today, since I turned on the heater last night.

Pazzoman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Hey thanks everyone, right now I have the skimmer running and one heater in the corner overflow both thermometers almost match 100% at 78 degrees. So I'm unsure if I should turn the other heater which I have next to the one in the corner overflow...I might just keep it in there turned off incase when ever I need it I just plug it in.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: