Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Leeny718 You make a good point but that does not mean we can't start leaning in that direction and letting it be known that we mean. I hope that the goal of all reefers would be to help not just the hobby but also Mother Nature. Thank you for your response.

Lenny718

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
Lenny sorry about the name its' A bit early

Lol no worries. I also agree with you. I believe that if we collect wild caught fish at a reasonable rate allowing them to reperduce in the wild it will have less impact on the environment but for this to work it would have to be closely monitored by an agency that doesn't have its own hidden agenda, hard to find theses days.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
LOL Nice to see I am not the only one that misspells around here. Its the fish that worry me more than the corals. They go further than just the hobbies, people feed on them! We do clearly have a problem and I think I am glad I joined here. It's nice to have people to bang heads with and maybe come up with some ideas.

tzsetzse

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm an old, "salt". Started back in the early 80's but didn't truly become semi-successful until the early 90's. back then EVERYTHING was wild-caught. Frags were science fiction to us rank and file types. **** Perrin of Tropicorium was the reigning king of the DIY crowd. I lived in Toledo, OH at that time and made many trips to Romulus, MI. The biggest hot topic back then was the "Netsman Project" to get the Filipinios to cease using cyanide to collect fish. Not much was discussed about coral. UNTIL Florida banned LR collection. OMG! The hobby was doomed.
Well, nowadays with Hawaii being virtually off limits and legislation being presented almost every session, our beloved hobby is under siege. "Finding Nemo" was only the tip of the iceburg. The hobby exploded almost overnight and this caused alarm and concern as entrepreneurs sought to cash-in on the new surge in the industry. Well, we are now faced with the inevitable consequence of this as environmental groups and those that feel that ANY collection OR possession of marine aquatic animals is, "immoral". Education and FRAGGING/CAPTIVE BREEDING is the salvation the industry and the hobby must have to survive. What once cost $60. and secured a complete colony of Elegance, wild-caught, now results in a frag the size of a postage stamp.
This is the new reality of our hobby.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
have to wonder if that is all bad. It may not be as easy as it once was, and having a really nice tank might be a bit more of a challenge, but the inovations out there these days make things a bit easier and watching those colonies grow from a postage stamp size frag can and in some cases even being returned to replace damaged goods in the wild can be very rewarding. I think I kinda like where our hobby is going!

Charley

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Just wondering if there any changes to the hobby about to occur that we should be aware of? Are things progressing in favor of the hobby or is the hobby losing the battle?

Charley

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Yes, appears that could be the case. Very few people seem to care at least it feels that way to me. The hobby is to much in motion and set in its ways that it feels very normal right now.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: