Pk8030033

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a used tank one month ago ..

Last night whole tank was leaking ..

When i get this tank i did clearly check the tank without any leak and hold water ..

The problem is you dont know how long is the tank used ..

May be you can save half price for a used tank .

However the tank was leak .. You may lost thousand dollars coral or fish .. Exclude flooding your house !

I am lucky .i was home last night ,

Attachments

• 20140915_110707.jpg
    20140915_110707.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 340
Last edited:

b-ridge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.8%
79   11   0
sorry to hear about your tank. depending on where you are if you need a small tank 20-40gallons i have one you could have/hold. from the looks of things it looks like you have thing covered

brand

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I don't get why people use second hand tanks. Everything else is ok but what holds water no way. . buy a new tank many places have good prices. Central aquarium Corp can can you excellent price...try them that's where I got mine 200 below retail brand new.

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
I would never buy a tank if I didn't see it filled up first .

IMO, every time a tank is emptied and re-filled it has the potential to develop a leak. It's good to see it filed and holding water, but after being emptied, moved/handled/leveled and refilled...all bets are off.
For what it's worth, new tanks can also leak, sure they are guaranteed, but water on the floor is still a problem!

Rating - 100%
575   0   0
I have own a few too many use tanks (including my current 150 rimless) but regardless of inspection and no leaks i make sure i reselicone the whole tank again.
Like u said u cant never be sure (even with brand new tank) but adding that extra silicone lets me sleep at nite.

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
IMO, every time a tank is emptied and re-filled it has the potential to develop a leak. It's good to see it filed and holding water, but after being emptied, moved/handled/leveled and refilled...all bets are off.
For what it's worth, new tanks can also leak, sure they are guaranteed, but water on the floor is still a problem!

+1, ppl sale and buy, but sometime, moved (secure the wrong way), bed level , may make the tank to leak.

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
I honestly never thought of this before I was trying to sell a tank that had a minor chip. It developed a crack while cleaning it. I personally do not sell a tank unless I have absolute belief that there will not be a problem. I don't need it biting me in the ***. I rather give it for free or give it away for near nothing if someone wants to take the risk. I really sell the stand basically and give the tank for fee.

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
I bought a tank two years or so ago, decided not to set it up. Guy who bought it called me like a lunatic that the bottom panel fell out
I refunded the money, but I understand that's only half the problem. If I knew how to post a thread I'd look it up and repost it

Tranquil201

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I've went through 3 used so far 2 from MR members here and luckily haven't had an issue. My most recent 150 has been up for about 7 months now. I felt bad I asked the guy that I bought it from like 100 times are you sure there aren't any issues lol. No one wants a spill that must be terrible experience. Luckily you were home though to catch this.

ecvernon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
Sorry that happened. Also Please beware new tanks can leak also. Ive had brand new tanks(deap Blue) leak after having filled for leak testing for days.
Just like Albano said if its emptied and refilled there is always a potential for a problem

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I've bought a few used tanks on MR. I've sold a few as well. Never had an issue. As mentioned previously a new tank can fail as well. Really depends on the quality of the tank you are buying. I wouldn't buy one of the mass manufactured tanks used or even new for that matter. Quality tanks like Elos, Miracles, Coast to Coast, Reefoman etc.. used should be fine if set up properly and the tank doesn't have silicone issues.

Good luck with your new setup and sorry to hear about the leak.

Pk8030033

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think i need to change the topic ..

i think i need to change the topic ..

do not buy some cheap brand used aquarium tank ... i knew some brand

aquarium can keep a long time without problem .

Attachments

• 20140916_134800.jpg
    20140916_134800.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 70

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: