Nandez13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
246   0   0
I've been running Beamswork LEDs over my 75 gallon tank. They're 3W Bridgelux White/Blue non dimmable lights. I haven't had issues with my LPS/soft corals. I've burned a chalice/acan here and there but it was because it was directly under the light; those lights pack a punch. Other than that, the majority of my colors grow well and look great. I started getting into SPS a couple months ago and want to keep adding some more pieces. My sps never look the way they do when I buy them nor do they grow as much as I know they can but I wasn't expecting any better with my cheap LEDs. As I have gotten more into SPS, I want to upgrade to a full spectrum/dimmable LED. I ultimately want to get to AI Hydras/Radion Gen 3, but for now I need to go with something more affordable and upgrade with time. Right now, I'm looking at the Evergrow IT2080.

http://www.reefsupplycanada.com/it2080-controllable-full-spectrum-led-32-light/

I like that they are full spectrum, dimmable, programmable. I know that CREE is preferred over Bridgelux but want to know how successful people have been with this fixture or one similar. I know that CREE is more durable and has a higher PAR output per watt. I'd be putting this 32" fixture over a 75 gallon tank (48" long). Considering the tank is only 21" high (with a 2" sandbed), I don't see the lower PAR/watt as an issue. I could always adjust the height of the light above the tank. CREE is more durable but it's not like the fixture should crap out in a year or two (it comes with a warranty in case it did).

It comes with green/red/violet and has an option to customize to include UV. If I were to include UV, how many bulbs should I add and which would I replace? I'm not hard set on this fixture but it seems like the best option for the size/quality/cost. Open to other suggestions at this price range.

T5/MH lovers need not comment :lol2:

Thanks

Rob&Gab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Order the it2080's from ocean revive you'll get top notch service and a grey fixture we have 2 it2040's over our 65g SPS HEAVYtank and color and growth is there for sure. Just as always good water is good for the sps so keep it clean lol .

Oceanrevivellc.com

Nandez13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
246   0   0
we have 2 it2040's over our 65g SPS HEAVYtank and color and growth is there for sure. Just as always good water is good for the sps so keep it clean lol .

Good to know, you have a great looking tank. Yea, I agree great water quality and stable parameters are just as important as good lighting. I'm curious why you went 2 it2040s as opposed to a 1080? Just to make sure the sides of the tank get as much light? Did you keep the default layout?

Thanks for the input

reefer4eva

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
282   0   0
Guess I'm to blame for Rob&Gab having the evergrows..lmao..my tank is a mixed reef (mostly SPS) 60 cube with the evergrow it 2040 and like Rob said water quality is a must as any sps tank ..I use the custom setting..with the default layout provided from ocean revive

Nandez13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
246   0   0
Ahh, I see. I have a 2" brace in the middle as well. I figured the optics of the fixture would still give plenty of light to the middle; it would just be lower PAR since the brace blocks some light. If I was doing a heavy sps tank it would make sense to use two 2040s instead of one 2080. I'd prefer a little lower lighting at the sides for certain colors that are a little more sensitive. Looks like that's what I'll be going with

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: