lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
Pete, its an internet forum, you give a problem, people are gonna try to fix it and give their $.02. I hear ya, your stressing and the tank is more trouble than it's worth right now. Sucks. I can't imagine having to deal with problem after problem like that. Something that should be stress relieving shouldn't be the cause of it. Good luck man whatever you decide. Should you decide to press on, you can see you got plenty of people willing to lend their thoughts on the matter.

peteyboyny

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
pete, its an internet forum, you give a problem, people are gonna try to fix it and give their $.02. I hear ya, your stressing and the tank is more trouble than it's worth right now. Sucks. I can't imagine having to deal with problem after problem like that. Something that should be stress relieving shouldn't be the cause of it. Good luck man whatever you decide. Should you decide to press on, you can see you got plenty of people willing to lend their thoughts on the matter.
thanks

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
First, did I ask a question? Nevermind it being open ended. I really stereo the thread to help sort out whether to stick with it our not.
Second, MOST of the info that you say is needed, is in the thread, nothing withheld.
Considering that most nuisence algae can still thrive in even when nutrient levels are undetectable, what would your advice be then?

This wasn't really a help thread.

If you actually want to get rid of it and stay in, setup a seperate tank to place your corals in for temp holding. Dispose of your rock or clean it properly through methods (search) I've done it before and it's a pain but it helps clean it out. Buy new rock or used rock from a member like stbaranbas selling at a pretty low price.

Your signature states you have a 60G so you may have a decent amount of rock but not out of this world like a 300g setup would require.

Purchase new sand (cheap) because there is likely some sitting all of your sand as well. Clean up your current tank and restart the cycle. Place everything back in and call it a day.

You don't have to restart all over with new equipment. It's just a matter of how much you want to rid the crap your dealing with. It got in your tank someway or another and if you tried multiple resolutions then take a drastic one.

No one else is going to change your mind if you "seriously" considering about getting out. Like you said, you have some awesome coral that you grew out and you've been on MR for awhile. If you have other plans then jump out the hobby until your ready again.

I am not trying to insult you or anything. Maybe I came off wrong but I would rather any person who loves this hobby to stay in and work through the small problems like algae presents. There's always ways around it. Hobby is about love and effort. If you drop your husbandry then you can see how things ended up.

Last edited:

peteyboyny

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
So here's where I'm at. Sent some pics to my old iPhone to upload to MR. I have increased the dose of h202 @ 20ml/daily. The only 2 constant readings I get are from my Reefkeeper, temp and pH are @ 78.2f, 8.18pH. LPS in the tank seems to be diggin' the h202.

peteyboyny

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Trying to upload pics

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 89

b-ridge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.8%
79   11   0
Good to see your still in and trying. Didn't give up yet. This should be motivation for anyone who is considering getting out for things that can be fixed. Time and patience is key. Good luck and I hope you overcome this obstacle

peteyboyny

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
UPDATE:
Removed all the affected rock and replaced it (thank god i have a few hundred pounds extra, ready to go at a moments notice). Scrubbed everything else with a toothbrush and h2o2. Added a 1" sandbed. Then dosed aprox 12 fl ozs. of h2o2. It's been a few weeks with no new algae growth, and whatever was left is dying very quickly.
Xenia colony was pretty upset from the dose but, is recovering. All of my LPS has exploded to life and looks the best it's ever looked!

Thanks for the advice guys and gals.

P.S.- A special thanks to you Mr duke. If it wasn't for your one sided view on the topic, I may have quit the hobby. It was you who gave me the "proverbial push" that needed to get my tank back on track. Research, application, persistance, AND...like Mr Saltwater tank says..."know your tank personality".

Just picked up some new zoos and palys today. Dipped and opening up.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: