nvladik

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0

Waleedwale1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
294   0   0
It isn't needed. All 3 of my current tanks are tap water and one is SPS dominant at this point. With that being said, it will make your life a lot easier getting an RO/DI and will precent algae/nutrient problems you may have.

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Your call like anything else in the hobby:
Having one "may" limit problems down the road for issues but if husbandry isn't routine having an ro unit will not make up for the lack husbandry. This is prob why walee has had success. Be honest with yourself on what you plan on doing and use that as a jumping board. Personally, I don't dedicate as much time to my tank as I would like to, sometimes life just gets in the way

Last edited:

nvladik

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Thanks everyone, heard loud and clear, I am 100% getting a RODI. Now the question is which one? Given the water here is very clean already, simple 4-stage will do?

nvladik

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
get the water drinking kit with it, so you can enjoy the RO part of the filter as well instead of buying bottled water, that's what I did, it got my wife happy.

That won't be an option, it's going into a laundry closet. But our water come form the upstate lakes, it's super clean already, so that's not a concern. :)

Dan_P

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would like to minimize the copper and nitrate going into your system. The report did not mention phosphate level, something else you would like to minimize. Then there are the unknown contaminants picked up between the water source and your house.

So, that is the science behind why you should have an RO unit if not an RO/DI unit. Now the emotional side of things. You will experience unexpected events like nuissance algae blooms in your aquarium and you definitely do not want to be wondering if it occurred because of the fresh water quality, and when you post your issue here, everyone to the man and woman will ask about your freshwater source and the TDS reading :)

Buy one.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
its very important part of the hobby. Some can get away without using one but i 100% believe its a great piece of equipment for our hobby. If you went with a 4 stage i believe you will do great. just make sure you get an inline tds meter, pressure gauge, flush kit, and a handheld tds meter. I trust russ at saltwatercritters.com and theh2oguru.com

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: