BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
When I get ready for my new build Im thinking about eliminating as many hoses and clamps within my system and going PVC pipe. What are some of the pros n cons, if any? do my pumps really become less efficient at 90* angles?

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
their is a formula for how much gph you loose for every 90 you use. don't know where i seen it.
you can also use flex pvc if you have the room to make gradual 90s.
or go to the next size pump to compensate for lose.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
You can either get sweep 90's or make each 90 out of 2 45's. Even regular 90's if there's not a ton of them won't effect anything too bad. Most likely you're going to oversize your pump a little(I always did) to have some headroom for additions of a manifold and what might be ran off it and you'll have proper flow even with straight 90's.

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Thanks, I really like the look of the tanks with PVC! I plan on using only 1 pump on my next build (180 gal) that will have to handle 2 media reactors and the return as well as any expanding I might do to support a small macro farm or refugium area.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
pvc vs hose and clamp.... pvc will allow more vibration and resonated noise, once cut and glued you have to start replacing stuff if needed, hose, reduced vibration and resonated noise, simple loosen pipe clamp do what you need and put back. no cutting or gluing involved,, just my 2 cents i stopped using pvc along time ago

Dan_P

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Minimizing 90 degree bends is a good objective. They waste flow. You can find formulas on the internet that will show you the friction factor for a ninety degree bend in terms of feet of straight pipe. It is significant. But you could just get a bigger pump and not worry about it unless cost of electricity is an issue.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: