BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Im picking up my new 260 gallon tank with corner overflows and cannot afford the $400 for a refugium sump so I would appreciate if anybody can direct me to the right diagrams for a DIY. I really like the Trigger Systems elite model because you can adjust the flow to the refugium section, although I'd rather replace a cloth/sponge every other day instead of filter socks.. I will be using an "in sump skimmer". Thank you.

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
if you make your 1st section your fuge, 2nd sec return you can feed the fuge from your return manifold so its adjustable, and spills over into return.
google DIY sumps and refugiums, their a lot of ideas.

C

Cu455

Rating - 100%
182   0   0
You can use two sumps one for you equipment and one for your fuge. You can use a valve to control the flow to the fuge. You can have one over flow go into the sump with the equipment and one go into the fuge with a valve. Have the fuge connect to main sump which has the return.

If you are running reactors or a UV you can plump the fuge with that. Raise the fuge a little and have it overflow back in the sump. You can build your filtration housing under your tank and customize it to how you like it. To water proof you can use pond liner, epoxy or rubber sealant.

Check out this thread. He did a nice job building his stuff out of wood.

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/diy-do-yourself/161606-diy-plywood-tank-sump-frag-tank.html
2Q==

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Cu455

Rating - 100%
182   0   0
The wood route is probably the cheapest and most customizable way of doing it. It involves very little skills as evident of my build. Here is my wood pond that held close to 500 gallons. I used 2x1 to build most of it, some thin plywood and particle board for the ground. I also stopped using screws half way through and switched to wood glue. It held up great. I have seen people do large builds with no frame. Here are some pictures.

Custom King

Vendor
Rating - 99.4%
308   2   0
DIY Sump Design?

Hello,

I can build you a custom sump in any design on the market and it won't cost you $400 I just built MR member Buldog5 a duplicate of the Ruby version sump. PM me if you're interested in something.

Thanks

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: