BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I need advice on pumps for tanks b/w 2-300 gallons. I was about to buy one that was controlable ( ramps up or down upon start up ) it was for $130 on one of the sites and I cant remember and my browser history was cleared. ANYWAYS, what are people using?

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
There will be 2-45* elbows and then a 90* I plan on placing the pump no more than 6 feet from lockline. And by lockline I mean I will be using a PVC to go along the side of the tank and have the water surge from alongside the upper right wall. I havent figured out how to get an even distribution throughout that last part yet.

Last edited:
C

Cu455

Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Nope, not at all
I have a jebao power in tank and I am pleased with it so far. Currently using an eheim 1262 for return pump but was curious how you liked your pump

I like it. It is easy to plumb and feed mode is cool. The reason I got the 12000 is because I was getting a bigger tank. The speed control saved me from buying 2 pumps. I was just running it at lower power. Of anyone does get it and plans on going biggermor adding UVs or reactors going a little bigger and running it at less power might be a good idea. It's only $10 to go one model more powerful. Once I hook it up to the new system I am going to run it externally. I will let you know how it does.

Last edited by a moderator:

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I like it. It is easy to plumb and feed mode is cool. The reason I got the 12000 . Once I hook it up to the new system I am going to run it externally. I will let you know how it does.

...wait, I'm ready to order that pump I thought it was submersible? and also, what would be the benefits of running it externally?

C

Cu455

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
It is suppose to be ran submerged and not reccomended for external use. Some people do it anyway. My filtration is above my display, so I am pumping water from my display to the filtration. I want to run it externally so my fish don't mess with it and sand doesn't get in it. My setup is a little different then most, Other people want to save space in their sump or reduce head.

You will be happy with the pump. I hear of very few people who aren't.

Last edited by a moderator:

BKLYNREEF123

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I have a Sicce Syncra and its awesome. It is quiet and very powerful. There is an intake adjustment that you can use to dial the pump back if needed. I contacted Sicce directly to see if this will harm the pump and was told it causes no harm. The build quality is also top notch.

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
I was using a Reef Octopus Water Blaster HY-10000 externally to pump up from a basement sump and also diverting to a connected tank in the basement. It had sufficient head pressure for the tank up one flight with enough for the same level tank where the sump was also. The problem with the 1st generation Water Blasters were the impeller magnets. I have four of these pumps in different sizes and it seems that at about the 3.5 year mark, the impeller magnets were rusting and splitting. The replacement impellers have a white coating on the magnets and maybe they are more durable or the company realized that the original impeller material was not durable.
I'm using a Jebao DC-12000 as a spare replacement for now until CoralVue gets my impeller in, I had already replaced an impeller for a Water Blaster HY-7000 before this and noticed the impeller magnet change.
So my point was that the Water Blaster is probably a better "external" pump then the Jebao DC pump. Better head pressure for direct comparison even though the Water Blaster is rated at 10k liters per gallon vs the Jebao at 12k liters per gallon. I would say the Jebao is about at 80% of the Water Blaster when running on the same system. I also ran the Jebao submerged vs externally as with the Water Blaster. I don't trust the Jebao externally because it specifically said to run submerged only and also because from what I see, it looks like it has no type of cooling fins around the motor housing to dissipate any heat for a large pump with no cooling fan.
But the upside of a pump like the Jebao DC is cost. The impeller replacement for the Water Blaster pump cost more then a brand new Jebao DC-12000 pump!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: