Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I would like to get a new external pump. I currently run a iwaki 40rdxt (Japanese motor). I feel it's not powerful enough and it's loud. I was thinking of the reef octopus dc pump. I have about 12ft of head according to the rc calculator. I want something strong and quieter. What are people running these days?

Rating - 100%
391   0   0
I really like my Reeflo. I never used a Iwaki so I can not compare the noise level. But I run the hammerhead Hybrid and it runs cool and very quiet. It may be a little to much pump but you could look at lower models.

I would say either Reeflo or a Panworld. Find the right size for you. IMO, they're the best external pumps out on the market.

Reeflo is definitely my favotire since I have 2 Hammerheads (one backup) and that's what I run from my basement to my living room. I have the Panworld on my calcium reactor and it's quiet and very well built, took it apart to clean it one day but it was spotless. I also have 2 Iwaki as well but I do agree that they are noiser than my other pumps.

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
I was a Reeflo and Dolphin fan years ago but the need for periodic seal replacement of these types of pumps have made me switch out 7~8 years ago. I run Water Blasters now but unfortunately also would not recommend them.

I was a Reeflo and Dolphin fan years ago but the need for periodic seal replacement of these types of pumps have made me switch out 7~8 years ago. I run Water Blasters now but unfortunately also would not recommend them.

Yeah forget Reef Octopus pumps, I would not recommend them at all. I mean I love Reef Octopus skimmers but after my experience with a Bubble Blaster recently, I don't see the Water Blasters being any different since they're made from the same company. I had an impeller fully rust inside the housing and jam. Then after getting that taken care of, the pump shut off after 1 minute of operation, take out the plug, wait 1 minute, then it would work for another minute and shut off after the minute. I repeated the whole cycle a few times thinking it may have been just a jam but nothing, so the pump became garbage. It was a pain which is why I don't like them. I mean having that happen on a skimmer, not so bad, having it happen on a return, totally different story.

I once had to replace the seal on my Hammerhead, but honestly, it's a $30 piece and it's very easily repaired. I also replace an internal dry-side bearing on my old Hammerhead and now it works as good as new.

Last edited:

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Centrifugal pumps are the quietest but make sure you plump it in a manner where you have union ball valves on the input and output so that when it comes time for a seal replacement, you can keep the water spillage to a minimum. That's the only thing that I did not like about these pumps, not because of the seal replacements but because it was always an acrobatic feat to get my pumps offline.

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
Warren I haven't had seal leak in many years. It's usually the bearing that give out first after about 3-5 years. Every 6-7 months I clean the pump and tension spring with a toothbrush and hot water keeping it clean of all the deposits detris etc.. which helps the spring maintain tension on the seals.
BTW it's rated at 3600 GPH @ 0' and it's the quietest most energy efficient pump I've owned with that much power.

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
That's interesting Mike.
When I was in Mineola, I ran multiple Darts and a Dolphin Ampmaster and all those pumps started to weep at the seals at approx. 2 years of use. It starts off as salt creep and progresses to a slow drip.
I'm so use to magnetic pumps that never gets dismantled or cleaned that I always plumb it in the worse configurations so the Darts and Dolphin became a pain in my case.
But I hear you about the cleaning route, interesting!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: