Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Since my tank leaked this past week, I have replaced it and am doing my first water change in years.(into the new tank of course.)

Got a 20 gallon Rubbermaid and a powerhead in there, how long does it take for the salts to dissolve in? 12, 24 or 36 hours?

Last time I tried a 50% water change, my anemone melted away.

duromega

Fish Hoarder
Staff member
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
#1 you may be mixing salt in cold water
#2 you dumped all the salt in the water
#3 you using Instant Ocean or Reefs Crystals

if so this will take 2 ~ 3 days to clear

if you using IO or RC add the salt little by little and it will keep the water clear

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I quote one of my fellow reefers,,,ITS "INSTANT ocean" not overnight ocean!!! If you've got a decent temp and slowly pour in as a power head runs it works. For me, half a cup per gallon and making more than 5 gallons another half cup per bucket and never a problem in 5 years. I've even put my 3 cups with a gallon of warm RO water ,,used a whisk, then added the remaining 4 gallons,,,foolproof. Other salts I have no idea

C

Cu455

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I wait a couple of hours with reef crystals and instant ocean. It is dependent on several variables. The amount of agitation is one. It used to take me 45 mins until there was no solid salt in a 44 gallon brute and over an hour until it is clear enought to see the bottom. I added a cheap sun sun 1300 gph powerhead and the water was clear in 45 mins. I also occasionally stir it by hand to get those dead spots were the salt builds up.

12 hours is more then enough time. Some brands have a reccomended time so check on that. If you are worried about your livestock add 5 gallons at a time over a few hours.

jvu61

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use reef crystals and mix 55gal at a time because it is a 300 gal tank. if heated to 78 or so I can make 55 gal with a pump that pumps 500 gal an hour in about 2 hours. if the water is cold I will take much longer. that said it depends on your mix and temp and how well the water is moved. if you look at the water you should be able to see if it is ready or not. another good rule is to take a reading when you think it is done then wait a half our take another reading and if it is the same you should be ok

skiwez

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was curious so I emailed Instant Ocean because I use Reef Crystal the response I got was to wait at least 1 day but 7 days is preferred.

I've only had my latest tank set-up for a year and usually mix 40 gallons at a time and really just depends on how much time I have I've waited as little as 2 hours or up to 7 days with no discernible difference in my tank. One thing I did note is that the longer I let the water mix the brown crud that everyone talk about get deposited in my mixing barrel.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: