Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I'm wondering if I should get an apex because I'd like to do a few different things that require the use of timers on/off at precise times etc anywho I'm pretty useless around a computer my wife has to help me anytime I wanna play with my radion schedule!l

Should I get an apex controller or would it be to tough to figure out for me? I basically wanna drip kalk and wanna have good control over my peristalic doser and also want to set up a natrureef chamber so have to control a doser and a pump at exact times monitor tem kick on fans shut off halieds etc etc oh and must hook up to I phone can it do that?

But I'm really not looking to have to learn how to program or spend hrs setting it up I just don't have the time or desire to have to learn a new hobby/skill the limited time I have I wanna spend with my son or the tank itself !

Thank you for ur help

Rating - 100%
36   0   1
The product itself is good, but if something goes wrong be ready for a bumpy ride. I sent mine in for repair which they are sayingnis water damage and gave me me numerous things that can be wrong. Shippes back my unit that cost roughly $400 dollars via fedground without the requirement of a signature and got dropped off at my front door in apt building whe no one was home and now is missing.

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Is there programming that you need to do ? Just nervous because I don't wanna spend the money to get frustrated I'm leaning towards getting on because I'm sick of timers the digital ones r annoying to set and if they don't get set right could have a disaster as that's how I dose kalk

Edv

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Both Apex and ReefKeeper you will need a learning curve (a must). In my opinion is Reefkeeper is a little easier and a cheaper to. But If money is not a problem go with Apex as a lots of for it means a lot more $$$. I have the ReefKeeper I'm happy with it.

TRUST me people with on both side will tell you the same thing makes life easier no matter which one you pick.......Just go for it!

Dk638

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
140   0   0
Matt, when I first got my apex programming was confusing to me also, fusion has simplified it to be easy for pretty much anyone who can sign on to a website. I had to have neptune upgrade my firmware for me remotely through my computer but I would imagine the new ones should come with the newest firmware.

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
For what you described you can accomplish all that with a ReefKeeper Lite or a Reefkeeper lite plus.

Do price comparison and decide what you truly want to achieve with your controller.

Apex, RKE and other advanced controllers come with dozen of nice options that are not really must haves but more like neat add ons that most don't end up using.

Geraud

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
On the long run, the Reefkeeper is underwhelming (why would they create a completely new line otherwise?). If you want to get APEX-level functionality you will end up paying as much as an APEX... so just get an APEX directly!

ps: examples of things that are really disappointing: temperatures reading wrong if you add a network module(!), nothing really comes "out of the box" except for a temperature probe. (I own both...)

Last edited:

BFITZ06

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I have a reefkeeper elite ...the basic stuff works fine but if your planing on doing more with it get the apex .

jvu61

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reef keeper light and ate it. hardtop get it to work with computer customer service sucks. if you use it from the control panel it is easy to use but I wanted to use it from the computer and have not been able t get it to work. if I had to do it again I get the apex. as far a dosing I use a Bubble Magus Dosing Pump with the add on so I can dose 7 things and it works great so far over 2 years

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: