fredro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I have a GBTA and I want to feed it some mysis. I've heard people say that they feed frozen cubes (which I have) to them. My question is, wouldn't the anemone spit it back out once it felt how cold it is, or does this work?

Rob&Gab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
243   0   0
IMO best food to feed it is table salmon. but you can always get jumbo mysis and a cup get some tank water defrost the chunk then either with tongs throw it on the snwmone or turket baste it into the anemone.

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
cut up table shrimp into chunks, spread it on wax paper and freeze. after its frozen put it in a zip lock bag then you can take out a cube as you need it, defrost in water and feed.
you can do this with any fish, like salmon as rob said.

lrasser

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I stopped feeding mine due to size and he never slowed down. I now have two large RBTA's and feed neither of them. The pick up what I feed the rest and couldn't be happier. In fact i'll be looking for a new home for one of them soon since they keep getting to big. I used to feed him silverside once a week. I wouldn't feed them anything still frozen.

RARECLOWNSNJ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
I would suggest mysis or try larrys reef frenzy, nothing should be fed frozen either, it should be rinsed in tank water or RO first.

Silver sides are a whole fish, usually anemones dont eat whole fish unless in aquariums. Bone and hard cartiledge can get stuck inside.

fredro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I didn't think that the frozen cube sounded right. Just goes to show you how much misinformation gets spread around. I'll get to the supermarket and grab a couple shrimp and see if there're any salmon scraps out back.

fredro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I brought a fresh uncooked shrimp today at
the supermarket, chopped off a few 1/4" x 1/4" pieces and put one into its tentacles. I didn't see it float away, but it had to be quite hard for it to get it into its mouth with all the diving in and out that the clownfish was doing in the meantime. But like I said, I never saw it float out, so I guess it likely was eaten. Also cut an even smaller piece of shrimp and offered it up to the little guy, which he inhaled. Success.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 56

fredro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
nice little BTA, nice color.

Thanks! Great trade from Marek-1! Great guy, too. He had a few that split in his tank and this little guy in his frag tank. He was the size of a quarter, fully open, when I first got him a few weeks back. He's now about double the size. My other BTA is much bigger and has taken up residence on the other side of the tank. He moves back into the "cave" that he lives at the edge of, once every afternoon. I'm unsure why and hope that he's not trying to relocate, but unable to and for some reason he won't come all the way out, but will try move in, until it reaches the end of the inside of the cave. Other than that behavior, he seems visually happy to me, in my minimal experience with anemones.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 45

rhdoug

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I fed my sebae anemone whole silversides for years without issue. (I rarely feed it those nowadays due to: 1.) what is probably an internet rumor that they kill anemones, and 2.) to stop its growth) I have had it for 13 years this month. I would assume if a small fish got into an anemone in the wild it would be consumed whole. I feed mine occasionally with a frozen mix (thawed) that I feed the entire tank with, whole krill chopped into small pieces, and whatever it catches on its own.

fredro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Good info. I'm really hoping the GBTA becomes as happy with its surroundings as the tiny RBTA. These guys are are such a great addition to the tank.

Question: My Black Saddleback Clown is being hosted by the larger anemone (GBTA) and hasn't even noticed the smaller anemone (RBTA). When the smaller one gets a little bigger, will or could the fish attempt to form another bond with the second anemone, or even show any interest in it, or is the fish likely to only bond with one at a time?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: