oro50

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started a saltwater aquarium 20gallon L tank.

It's almost four months since I started preparing this tank for a saltwater environment.

Anyway for the last six, possibly eight weeks now, I've had a juvenile maroon clownfish in my tank.

Now I am not saying I am offering this fish right now. What I am saying is, unfortunately, I might have to give up this fish, because I might move at some point in the future, and the job I might be getting doesn't really cater to aquarist needs, because it might require frequent travel, and I think we all know when transporting fish anywhere, to do it the right way, takes planning and consideration, meaning too much time for the work environment I might join, where things happen at a moments notice.

I'm really upset about it anyway, but feeling like I am the parent here, I feel I have to try to be responsible for my fish. I thought about giving it to a pet shop, but I don't trust these places to take care of it, as I trust other aquarists would do so.

The fish is just one. Meaning I have no other fish in this tank. It is young, and besides a few invertebrates in the tank, it is alone.

So basically I have two main questions for you.

I am presently using a canister filter 106 and a HOB filter meant for a 30 gallon, as well as a small powerhead, and bubble wall to bring oxygen into this tank, I also have about 18lbs of live rock in the tank, (which has grown algae on all of them. (Essentially green), so I think this fish is alright. My salinity right now is about 1.028 and my ph is about 8.0, nitrate level is about 25-30ppm, but I plan on doing a new water change (about 20 to 25% of the water) tomorrow. Temperature of my tank is between 81 to 82 degrees. I have been feeding it flake food (which yes I heard is not the best) but it is by ocean nutrition, and tetramarine saltwater flakes.

Anyway for what I can do I am pointing out that I am doing my best to keep this fish happy and healthy.

As far as I can tell this fish has no parasites or diseases of any kind, so I don't think you have to worry about introducing it to present tank mates.

Anyway so I have two main questions,for you because if I decide to do this, I am giving you this fish for free.

1. What type of environment (if interested) are you planning on introducing this fish into, (i.e., size of the tank; how long has the tank been around; average salinity; temperature; introducing it in a empty tank, or do you plan or have tank mates already in it?; what type of tank mates if you have some or plan on getting?; do you plan to introduce it to a fish only tank, or fish and reef tank? If you have corals what type or anemones?)

I guess I just want to hope that it will have a good home if I finally decide I have to give it away. Lastly, when I cycled my present tank, I did it using a fishless cycle. I did not purchase the fish I have, until it was determined by me and staff at Manhattan aquariums that my tank was cycled.

2. I am really trying to avoid this situation, so I am asking, for people who had to leave where they presently live, for whatever reason or due to work, say several states or even across the entire country, were there ways that you tried to bring your fish with you?

I tried to find policies on bringing fish with me in airplanes, but I couldn't seem to find a-lot of information regarding specifically on transporting personal fish?

Secondly, since this fish is a saltwater one, and I don't want to use it to begin the cycle of a new tank somewhere else, (as that can be damaging to the fish), I'm wondering for people who had to move, you bought a new tank first and had your new tank cycle for say at least one month before putting in your fish in the new tank?

Lastly, I am wondering if using a cooler to transport my fish (especially during a cold season, like the one we are having in NYC right now) with hand warmers to try to keep it warm is sufficient to transport this fish either via car or plane transport for several hours).

I am also wondering where I can purchase for a small price one fish bag, to help with transport?

Ok anyway thanks for any suggestions, as I do not want to do this, but as I said sometimes due to changing financial circumstances I am assuming that caring and responsible (and lets call them what they are, fish caretakers) have had to make these hard decisions.

Thank you

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I think that to answer your question you may want to have this post moved to the reefs for beginners Forum, and maybe repost it here if you do ultimately decide to give her away, just a thought as my understanding is that this particular forum is not really for discussions as it is for transactions.

C

Cu455

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Call the airline and ask them. I am pretty sure it is fine. Use a plastic container to put the fish in. Set up a tank when you move. Use bottle bacteria and some live rock. Keep an eye on the ammonia. Your tiny clown fish doesn't produce that much waste. I don't know how your nitrates are so high. It is nothing to worry about. You can drop your tank temperature and salinity a bit. Since you don't have an auto top off that 1.028 can jump a little.

if you travel for work get a auto feeder, light timer and depending on time away a auto top off an youmwill be fine.

oro50

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started a saltwater tank. This saturday it will only be four months since I got the tank literally, and began cycling it.

With this said, for the past six to eight weeks I've had a juvenile maroon clownfish in my 20 L gallon tank.

I did a fish less cycle before I put my fish in this tank. When I and Manhattan aquarium staff finally decided that it looked like my tank was safe, is when I put in my fish, so I am saying this to emphasize that I don't feel this fish suffered anything due to the new tank's cycling period.

With this said, I've been trying my best to take care of this fish, but I feel that possibly in the future I might have to give up this fish, because I might have to move for work, and possibly get a old job that I don't like, but hey a-lot of us are controlled by money. Anyway with that said my old job requires a-lot of travel, sometimes at a moment's notice and if this goes, I don't see how I can regularly take care of my tank and fish on a scheduled basis, as it kinda demands.

I really hate this, but since I am essentially it's parent I have to be the responsible one here, and do what I think is best for it's overall long-term health and happiness.
So with all of this said, I will give you the fish for free, (if I decide I actually have to give up my fish); and I don't want to give it to a fish shop, as I think the methods they use (and yes I understand they have to make money) are not always the best because again the $$ is king in this world.

With all of this said, I just want to get an idea of what your tank parameters are, in case i give this fish to you. I would like to know your tank size; lb's of live rock; general salinity; average temperature in your tank; do you plan on adding this fish by itself, or introduce it to tank mates; or possibly in the future? Do you plan on or have corals in your tank, and or anemones?

Do you use live sand or gravel substrate?

In any case though, if I have to move, I am also wondering if people can help me with transportation.

I'm still thinking it might be possible to transport this fish, but since this fish is also for a saltwater environment, and any new tank needs time to cycle; is airplane transportation possible, (like on a commercial jet?). I tried to look up on pet guidelines that airlines have, but I couldn't really seem to get specific guideline policies regarding fish; just that they would allow it?

Furthermore, I am wondering (due to the cold weather we are facing right now in the NYC area); do you think putting my fish in a fish bag, covered in a cooler with some hot hand packs would be sufficient to transport it, even if the travel time is several hours, either by car, plane and or both?

I got to think this is possible, as fish caught in the wild, are from far places from NYC, and yet fish are caught in these areas and sent back to fish stores?

I'm wondering also if my fish could live in a temporary small holding tank for awhile, if a new tank has to still undergo a new cycle?

I don't think it can but I thought I would just ask?

Ok thanks

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: