BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Why do people brag about keeping their temp, even to the point of advising others, to keep their tanks temp at 78-80 when The temperature of the water at Australias Great Barrier Reef will go from 75*f during the winter to 86*f in the summer?

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
I assume it's another rule of thumb.

If you can run your tank at a consistent 72*f and let us know of any behavioral differences you may encounter. Please let us know.

I run mine around the recommend Temps and don't see an issue.

JoeJawz

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The temp change in the ocean is gradual and constant. It cant change too drastically too fast or everything will die. Plus it only gets that cool for the coldest part of winter, not all year round. I honestly dont know what a constant 72 would do

mdcho

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I think it depends on the how you keep the constant temperature of your tank. I keep temperature at 72 all winter and 78~80 in summer time. But if you change the temp 1 degree within short period time, 1~2 hours, it will damage to your coral and fish. But 1 degree changes a day would not damage to any living organs in your tank.

Nandez13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
246   0   0
Corals can survive in a pretty broad range of temperatures. Slow changes is the key as corals hate quick temperature fluctuations.

I think the 77-80 range is just a safe zone so you can swing a few degrees in each direction and still be at an acceptable temp. They can do fine outside of these temps as long as they are acclimated properly to it.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Corals can survive in a pretty broad range of temperatures. Slow changes is the key as corals hate quick temperature fluctuations.

I think the 77-80 range is just a safe zone so you can swing a few degrees in each direction and still be at an acceptable temp. They can do fine outside of these temps as long as they are acclimated properly to it.

+1

I stay at 78 so I have a good margin of error in each direction.

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
You should ask the people who brag about it. And it would also be interesting to find out growth rate of corals around Australia year round. I'm guessing warmer waters faster coral growth...

Arati

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
swimming a few feet up or down while snorkeling you can feel notable temperature changes along a reef. why would people assume a 1-2 degree shift will effect the corals at all. IMHO 74-80 and most corals cool care less even is temps swing around a bit, especially during water changes. Causes no Ill to corals or fish.

aside from that I run my systems at a constant 77 because it gives me the largest margin of error before real damage occurs. IMO 73-83f is out of bounds and can 100% cause problems for live stock.

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
People grow while we sleep, most animals do so maybe the cooler winter month temps is when the ocean is getting ready for warmer weather. Just a theory. I'm not that experienced at sps coral... yet...

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
Cause our tanks are not the ocean and corals like stability. The more we can provide the more comfy our corals are. It's one of the easiest parameters for us to maintain. Just because I can tolerate -10 degrees to 110 does not mean I don't like a nice comfy 70

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
No scientists here but there are a few facts.
Warmer water= less oxygen
Warmer water= faster metabolism, extra feedings, more poop etc etc
Fish and coral depending on location and depth the temps range from low 70s up to the 90s.
78 is the safe universal temp for our livestock, ideally we all should keep locale specific aquariums and livestock and give them exactly the range they come from but obviously the majority of us will never do that, inclined myself at least while I have a BOSS limiting the number of tanks I own. At 78 you do have some play for variations in temp change which is probably the most important thing for us. I have kept my tank at 75 consistently and as high as 83 with no visual difference. My choice is to stay at 78 and I do assuming all equipment is working. In a closed system like ours there are certain types of algae and bacteria that thrive in warmer water, in a ULN system not so much a worry. I have also gotten coral from reputable dealers in which the water temp in bags was in the mid 60s, it was definitely stressed out but after acclimation it was fine.

ducati335i

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
178   0   1
btw I hate my temp at 73, all is fine, but prob slower growth, I like it at 76.. I personally have had better success w the animals in the tank.. I see no ill effects at 73 but it makes me nervous.. I plan on getting one of those in line heaters plumed in soon, to always maintain a constant temp.. or a controller soon! lol..

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: