• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
OK folks, we have a "skimmer thread", a "tank thread" and a "pump thread". When I was researching my skimmer the "skimmer thread" was probably the best resource on the net for comparing skimmers, and now I need to design a sump to fit my new skimmer and I need ideas. When looking around the site, I noticed that lots of people have questions on how to design/set up a sump, so I think that this would be a great resource for us.

Come one people, post some pictures of your sumps, refugiums and anythinig else going on under their tanks!!! Then give us a brief description including the size of the main display tank, the sump and refugium, plus the type of skimmer you are using, return pumps, auto top off, dosing pumps and anything else noteworthy.

Thanks.

Matt

Tim

Tim`s Aquatics
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
My sump/fuge

I have a 40 gallon sump/fuge for my 110gal.The fuge is fed by a phosban reactor and flows back into the sump area where it is returned by a mag 24. my skimmer is a euroreef cs-6 with a pump upgrade( sedra 5000) The main tank drains into the sump area through two one inch drains.....

Attachments

• IMG_0470_2.JPG
    IMG_0470_2.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 272

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I will start it out with what was in my stand untill a week or so ago. The display tank is a 65 gallon tank. As it is only three foot wide there is not much room under the tank.

insidestand_436431.jpg

The sump you see is a twenty gallon long. As the crappy berlin classic skimmer, with Mag 9.5 and Kent venturi, takes up a lot of room with the pump attatched. I placed a single baffle running along the center of the sump with a refugium at one end. I basicly put a glass "T" in side the sump making three compartments, the refugium is at the top of the "T". The overflow and skimmer are on one side of the base of the "T", the return pump sits on the other side. A small pump moves water into the refugium, wich overflow into the sump, portion. As such, the water level in the refugium is slightly higher than the water level in the sump.

I have a mag 12 as my return pump. The black thing you see over the sump, is a ten inch fan which is used to cool the tank during the summer. If you think the messy electric work looks dangerous, that is because it was and it has has all been replaced.

Last edited:

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Tim that is great, thanks for getting things going.

I notice that the refugium takes up most of the 40 gallon tank. How big is the "sump" portion, and how do you top off water. With my old set up, the water level in the sump dropped very quickly through evaporation as it did not hold much water. If my auto top off ran dry, which it ocassionaly does :banghead: , I only had about a day before the return section would run dry.

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
here are some pics of my current sump. i plan to incorporate the same style when i put together a larger one.

DSCN1498.jpg

the first baffle or 'wall' where the skimmer is goes all the way to the top. and there are three holes on the top of the wall that let water escape, like so
DSCN1502.jpg

the middle chamber is the fuge, followed by three baffles and then the third chamber where the return pump sits in. i really like this set up cuz it allows you to arrange your sump in so many ways.

currently i have the fuge where the skimmer was and skimmer where the fuge was. it only makes sense since i don't have to keep the skimmer elevated any more because the water level in the middle chamber is great for the skimmer.

one other change i would make is a smaller return chamber. allowing more space for the skimmer chamber or the return

Last edited:

jtbone68

King of Mars
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Now I have a wet dry with no bio balls but I am going to redo my setup just like Scarf .Hey Scarf what is that next to your skimmer to the left in the first shot ( I mite have to pick your brain )

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
currently i have the fuge where the skimmer was and skimmer where the fuge was. it only makes sense since i don't have to keep the skimmer elevated any more because the water level in the middle chamber is great for the skimmer.

one other change i would make is a smaller return chamber. allowing more space for the skimmer chamber or the return

That is where I would have put the fuge.

You want a smaller return chamber?

I am trying to maxmize my return area for two reasons. 1. The smaller the area the faster the water moves through it, carrying micro bubbles. 2. I am always afraid it is going to run dry. I ocassonally neglect my auto top off, and have a lot of evaporation in my tank. Minimizes the chance that the return area will run dry.

Last edited:

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Now I have a wet dry with no bio balls but I am going to redo my setup just like Scarf .Hey Scarf what is that next to your skimmer to the left in the first shot ( I mite have to pick your brain )

:confused: (to the left) is the skimmer output (to the right) that's a drawstring filter sock.

meschaefer said:
That is where I would have put the fuge.

You want a smaller return chamber?

I am trying to maxmize my return area for two reasons. 1. The smaller the area the faster the water moves through it, carrying micro bubbles. 2. I am always afraid it is going to run dry. I ocassonally neglect my auto top off, and have a lot of evaporation in my tank. Minimizes the chance that the return area will run dry.

i'll be adding an ATO so i'm not too worried about the return chamber running dry. w/ my current set up it would take 2-3 days for the return chamber to start sucking in air. i figure by adding the ATO it will add another day or two.

Last edited:

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
How much are you losing to evaporation.

My problem is that I either to lazy..or just to busy. During the summer I was losing two gallons a day, a little less now. With a five gallon ATO, that gives me two-three days of top off, and then I had another two days before my pump would start to suck air. Now this was not really a big problem, but It would get pretty low and then I would have an oh sh.. moment.

I will be cutting down that arcrylic box you gave me this weekend. I have a couple of peices of acrylic on top of that. I am just trying to figure out how to squeeze a refugium under my stand, and make the best use of space.

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I really need to sit down and draw it all out. But either the refugium or the resevior is going to end up on stilts, standing above the sump. I have so little room, and so much to stick under there, and I want to leave some room for new equipment additions. What will I want next month, next year... a Calcium reactor, a dosing pump, phosban.... all these things take up room and I have such a small footprint.

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
15 gallon gravity fed deltec with 20 pounds or so of LR, one baffle (not siliconed in)
5 gallon RO/DI resevoir

Attachments

• PICT0191.JPG
    PICT0191.JPG
    211.3 KB · Views: 124
  • PICT0195.JPG
    PICT0195.JPG
    211.3 KB · Views: 126

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Tank20NOV20066months013.jpg

this is under my 65g. Sump is a 15g AGA w/ three areas seperated by baffles. Skimmer (Deltec AP600), middle is a refugium w/ cheap HD light, right is return pump section w/ float switches for Auto Top off.

The tank to the left is a 5.5g used for ATO. On top of that is a 2-channel dosing pump for the B-Ionic.

I now have a Phosban reactor sitting right in front of the Dosing Pump that I am using for Zeolith. I just added it last week so it's not in this pic.

Last edited:

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
wow fritz we have alot of similarities...samp sump, same topoff reservoir, same skimmer, even a RK2!

I know I am hiring for a tank sitter next time i leave town.:biglaugh:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: