chiromanta

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Hi. I have recently install HOB BB 5G refugium with tumbling Chiatomorpha. After about a week I notice different types of algae growing on the walls of refugium, which I was expecting. So, in order to reduce it a bit, I added Nerite snails in it from my DT. Those snails always had eggs in my DT, but they never hatched or it they did, I have never seen any baby snails in my tank.
Now, yesterday I notice that my refugium is full of baby Nerite snails.
My question is:
Is it a potential problem? When I had fresh water tanks it was a problem when snails infested the tank and it took me one month to get rid of them.
I do understand that they help me in cleaning algae, but if they get to my DT can it become potential infestation problem?
Thank you for your input.

jnelson

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
The only problem I've had with nerites is that they get adventurous and wander into overflows or even out of the tank. They do clean algae though and don't affect corals, so it's not as big a problem as the FW nerites that eat through plants.

If you don't have it already, I'd recommend netting over your overflow or drain pipe to ensure that they don't block it and cause a flood. Additionally, if your tank is rimless/topless, expect to find a few on your floor every so often!

chiromanta

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
The only problem I've had with nerites is that they get adventurous and wander into overflows or even out of the tank. They do clean algae though and don't affect corals, so it's not as big a problem as the FW nerites that eat through plants.

If you don't have it already, I'd recommend netting over your overflow or drain pipe to ensure that they don't block it and cause a flood. Additionally, if your tank is rimless/topless, expect to find a few on your floor every so often!
thank you.
my tank is not rimless and they still end up on the floor.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: