crox99

Audi Sport
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Last night I was checking out my tank and a little after the blue light turned on I saw my pair of spotted mandarins chasing each other around on the rocks. So I grabbed a chair and watch them......after a few minutes they were swimming next to each other all the way to the surface and once they hit it they released eggs and sperm!!! I couldn't believe it because they are still fairly small and I only got them approximately 6 weeks ago but looking closer at the female she had a big round belly!!!

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
It's a pretty cool thing to see, especially as they kinda spiral around each other to the top of the tank before they release the eggs. I don't think they really need to be that large to start spawn, a long time ago my pair did and they weren't that large, not like some of the real big ones that come in.

Last edited:

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Mine use to do it right before the lights were going off, so it was pretty easy to see. I would think that you would either have to put the light back on, which may stop them from spawning, or put light around the area of the tank so you can video it. Either way it's pretty interest to see.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: