ivandrago

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Hey guys i have an issue with my ELOS 160 overflow, the thing has been runing for a a week and its making noise in the overflow, its probably because it not a Durso. But still i need some help figuring out how to fix the issue i tried sticking a air tube in to help it suck air but still no difference. I have included a link on you tube with the noise that comes out.

https://youtu.be/YlqLirXnh0w

Macropora

Zoa Echino Aficionado
Rating - 100%
725   0   0
Try putting an air filter on the tubing to see if it reduces the gurgling sound you hear or you can tee off the flow in the return pump back to the sump.

ivandrago

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
How can i attach air filter on the tubing. I mean i am pretty sure that its because of the air that the noise is coming from.
The only other idea i had was to drill a hole on top into the overflow so there is air but not really sure about that one.

Macropora

Zoa Echino Aficionado
Rating - 100%
725   0   0
Used the wrong word. Should be air silencer. The one's they use on protein skimmers or for maxijet and cobalt aquatics powerheads.

ivandrago

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I had the similar issue with my elos mini . . have you tried lifting the grate thing for a few second to fill the tube and reseting it. I found to that to help with the noise with the elos mini.

Yes i have tried that before but same thing it just level out in the end and the noise comes back. its annoying have to close the door to my bedroom cause of the girguling

ivandrago

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
your return pump, not enough gph. or get a gate valve so u can fine tune your overflow too match, the return pump gph

The return pump is the one that comes with the tank a sicce 3.0, i had mag 12 before and it was the same problem. its the other way around i have to dial down the return pump. Also i did try the ball valve and it did help. So it will be a combination of things ball valve and dialing down the return pump. I think the drain is to big its a 1 1/2 in drain

ReefMonkey13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Adding the gate valve will make it like a "herbie" plumbing set up without an emergency drain line. Kinda risky but should work.

BTW, I'm dealing with a similar issue as this with my Elos 70. Will try to up the power on my return pump to fully submerge the drain hole in the tank. It just makes me nervous that the tank will over flow.

I agree with ssdawood, for such nice tanks their plumbing really sucks.

ivandrago

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Adding the gate valve will make it like a "herbie" plumbing set up without an emergency drain line. Kinda risky but should work.

BTW, I'm dealing with a similar issue as this with my Elos 70. Will try to up the power on my return pump to fully submerge the drain hole in the tank. It just makes me nervous that the tank will over flow.

I agree with ssdawood, for such nice tanks their plumbing really sucks.

true that.

JavyJaverson

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
144   0   0
do not make a herbie overflow without a emergency drain! it will become unstable at some point and flood your floor. just t off the return to pump less water into the dt and make it quieter, no need for a lot of turnover between sump and display imo. Another option would be to turn the return line into a herbie drain, and the original drain into the emergency drain. the return would then have to come from over the edge of the tank, could be aesthetically acceptable if done correctly.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: