Lenny718

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
So I have a JBJ 45g cube and as of now I have a pair of clowns and a yellow watchman goby, looking to bring more color and activity to the tank. I've never had a problem in the past choosing fish cause I always had much larger tanks, obviously with a 45g tangs are out of the question. I'm thinking of adding a royal gramma next but also wanted to get some ideas of other active small colorful fish. Thanks!

Lenny718

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
Thanks guys and yes the tank does have a cover. I forgot to mention I also have a haddoni carpet anemone in the tank as well and I'm worried with wrasses if they get scared and make a nose dive tords it, it's all over lol. There are a ton of beautiful wrasses to choose from so I may try one and see what happens.

Jhoehlein

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
You've got a bunch of options!

Midas blenny is a great option, they like to swim up in the water column unlike most other blennies.

Fang blennies are also open water swimmers, ORA breeds a great variety of them.

Flasher wrasse or smaller fairy wrasse would be great - maybe not a lineatus, but certainly something like a solorensis would work.

If you find one eating in your LFS and you have a deep enough sandbed a leopard wrasse would be nice. I've had a small meleagris in my RSM 130d for the better part of two years now.

The small hogfish would do nicely. A candy or a peppermint would be your only realistic options. They can be mean, though.

The fish in my avatar is fantastic - Pink Streaked Wrasse. Similar size and behavior to a sixline with none of the attitude.

I've had good luck with Fridmani Dottybacks, they're much more mellow than their relatives.

I'd stay away from more gobies, the only one I would try in a tank that small with a yellow watchman would be a cleaner goby, either a sharknose or a neon.

Firefish get a bad rap as cheap beginner fish, but they're great little open water swimmers.

If decide against the royal gramma there are other nice albeit pricey basslets. Assessors, swissguard, swale's, blackcap if you can find a healthy one at the LFS.

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
From experience the sixline and the gamma will get very nasty.
A blenny, bicolor or midas is good, a trio of firefish or chromis is good as well, or Cardinals. Perhaps a flame angel, but will need to watch him closely.

rjl09

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've had the blue spot watchman with a yellow watchman before and they were inseperable. That's just from my experience.
You can do a firefish and maybe a purple firefish, had both at the same time for a while as well but then the purple had enough of the regular firefish.
Nothing wrong with mandarin fish that are trained to eat frozen foods unless you have pods already
I have a tank full of gobies(rainford,clown,twinspot,hi fin,prawn) but as long as they have their space, they all coexist, but again they are small and not too colorful. All in a 24 gallon

Geraud

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
The pygmy angels (argi and acanthops) are really nice fish, with metallic blue bodies. Over time they can develop a taste for corals, so it is a hit or miss.

Basslets (swissguards or candy) are really nice fish. Beautiful, and completely mellow with other fish. They are really interesting when kept as a pair.

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
I have a pygmy and I love him. Only 2 months now but doesn't nip at anything

My favor fish is...............NOT sure for 45 Gal. but i just love it. So active so curios never problem, in 150 Gal. up.

Attachments

• Angel-Pigmeo-del-Caribe.jpg
    Angel-Pigmeo-del-Caribe.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: