stoneriff

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I have a small fuge in my sump with rubble rock, and just added a bunch of cheato. I have one of the silver dome light fixtures from Home Depot. Any recommendations on what type and wattage of bulb I should use? Also, how long of a light cycle should I set the timer for? The fixture hangs about 6 inches above sump. Thanks.

Last edited:

fredro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I have a Kessil H150 Purple spectrum. I switched from a LED clip on and the growth went from almost nothing to a shopping bag full every month. The light was $68 shipped, used off eBay. Best investment I have made in the tank in a long time!

BRS has a clown tank in their office and switched from a Kessil A160 Amazon Sun to the H350 (Horriculture) Purple Spectrum and even they said that the results were impressive since the switch. There is a video on their YouTube Channel that they just released on this.

A lot of people are happy with thee Home Depot Clip On Regular bulb. It may work well, but IMO the lower heat and power consumption is worth the investment, besides the likely increased growth.

fredro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429758797.334232.jpg

stoneriff

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Fredro. Never heard of these. Thanks for the info. I will look in to them. How high off of the water level do you set it, and how many hours of light per day?

Anyone else???

fredro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I run mine about 10" off the water line, only because that's where I get the optimal spread to cover my fuge chamber and I run the light from 1630-0900, a little bit more than the opposite of the DT lighting period. Not a ton of people use these lights since they aren't that well known in the aquarist community, but for those that do, I have only ever heard awesome reviews. The price is a little more that most people would plan on spending on a fuge light, BUT with a bunch of these for sale used on eBay, at under $80, I can't see why everyone shouldn't have one of these over their fuge. Really love mine.

fredro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Some people run them 24hrs a day. This is usually to keep certain macro algaes like calerpa from going sexual and winding up in unwanted areas of the aquarium. The photoperiod can also be adjusted to control growth rates which can inturn increase or decrease rates of nutrient export. It's all about finding out what works for your aquarium.

BKLYN REEF

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
i believe anything in the 5000 k- 65000 kelvin range work well. I just purchased a philips 5000k led bulb to try for about 16 bucks shipped from amazon and plan on running it on a reverse light schedule from the display.

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
3200k to 5000k is best color

reverese light cycle from display helps the respiration of the chaeto and balances ph swings. I run mine 11pm to 2pm. Display lights go on at 3 and off at 11.

If you get an LED bulb, get the 75w cree or phillips in soft white at home depot. Most closely resembles the lower color spectrum and is closest to natural sunlight.

House

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: