nycdominicanreef

one frag at a time
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
First and foremost, I live on the last floor so I feel like my apartment is hotter than most (seems like we get all the heat off the roof of the building).
everyone runs their tank 77-80F.

Only thing is all of my fish, swim around normally, everyone is happy. My zoas and sps open up normal. my hermits and snails clean all day......
Yellow tang, hippo tang, eibli tang, 2 blue green chromis, six line wrasse, clown goby, cleaner wrasse, 2 banngai cardinals.... IN a 90 gal

Like they saying if it aint broken........

Is this normal, or am i the exception?

Lenny718

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
I run my tank between 80-81 cause my magnificent anemone is a shallow water anemone and prefers it warmer. I also have LPS and SPS and they don't seem to mind it. 83 maybe pushing it but hey if everything is still doing well I wouldn't sweat it. I think large temp swings are more of an issue to worry about.

Rating - 98.1%
155   3   0
I don't run a chiller on non of my tanks and sometime in the summer my tank has hit 85 everything is fin but I don't really have sps only a few pieces been doing this for years I try to keep it cool by turning my ac on but sometimes I forget

vashawn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
My 265 was running at 85, chiller broke! So I got to big square fans hitting the water surface. Tank is running at 79. Few sps small colonies, zoos, etc. O and I have 4 led dimmed to 50% and everything is doing great, no ick!

ReefBum

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
I don't let my tank get above 80. You might want to consider a fan to bring it down a degree or two. On a really hot day things will get stressed.

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
The Great Barrier Reef get to about 82-85f in the summer months friend. What you need to monitor is oxygen. The warmer the water the less oxygen in the water and the more oxygen the animals use up.

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
my isolation tank was at 86 F this past week and my fish died out when the filter pump sponge clogged, slowing water flow. So I went out to get more fish and once again, the sponge filled up, water flow slowed and the fish died. Anyway, agree with everyone that above 85 is bad.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Not only directed at you valor G :) Margin of error is not there at 83-84. Playing with fire. Just not worth it IMO. Turn on your AC and put fans on a controller. Also, IME, you crash bacterial population at higher temps. Cyano has always been a result for me when temps ran high.

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
The Great Barrier Reef get to about 82-85f in the summer months friend. What you need to monitor is oxygen. The warmer the water the less oxygen in the water and the more oxygen the animals use up.

May be true, but in Great Barrier Reef , water change is in few sec. some members change the water in ..........weeks, months......?!

ValorG

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
263   0   0
Not only directed at you valor G :) Margin of error is not there at 83-84. Playing with fire. Just not worth it IMO. Turn on your AC and put fans on a controller. Also, IME, you crash bacterial population at higher temps. Cyano has always been a result for me when temps ran high.
Lol well no ac in my basement but got 2 fans continuously running now. Keeping temps at 80-82 max

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
I think compare Great Barrier Reef temp. to our Reef Tanks, is just like compare MH to LEDs or some salt to Natural Reef water, temp. change lots of thinks, witch probably we never understand, water change makes a big dif. So far i never see a gorges Reef tank at 83 F (SPS only).Like i said in Great Barrier Reef water change is in the matter of sec. even if is 83 F, i don't think GBR is the best to compare.

greg 45

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
If we all follow magical numbers we wont know what works and what doesn't. Our small ocean's aren't even close to there real thing. If we are hear to learn we also need experiment. We also aren't using ocean water with all the goodies that are in it.
Just my 2cents . I also might find a Swedish model on the internet. Run what works for you and your tank. If I put all the reef books I have read I would have a big pile of paper.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: